Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Such optimism:
"can't be any harder than the few I;ve done before on other cars. "
There are some helpful write ups to avoid gotchas - see the Beat the Bush video for exmple.
Good Luck and tell us what got you ?
Skepticism, I Love it. I do everything myself on my cars short of machining as I lack the equipment or else I would do that as well. The worst that can happen is I'm out a few hundred for a new top with glass window. I remember the first top I did was on a Mercury Capri and it came out great, of course I had my brother helping me stretch it properly and since this was over 20 years ago we didn't have youtube for help, just the directions that came with the top on a single sheet of paper. I did see some instructional videos and now I am considering just sewing in the window myself on the car as time wise it might work out to be the same thing.

bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:08 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdz View Post
Great, my window cracked as I tried looking over the car in storage. I called the guy I used on my Miata top years ago. He said if I take the top off and bring it to him its $75 including the cost of the window if I bring the car it will be much more. Guess I'll be taking off the top, can't be any harder than the few I;ve done before on other cars.
Where do you live as $75 is dirt dirt cheap... the cheapest price I got if I brought the top in was over $400 locally....
Old 03-28-2017, 04:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
Where do you live as $75 is dirt dirt cheap... the cheapest price I got if I brought the top in was over $400 locally....
I'm in the Detroit MI area. It's a shop that I have used for over 25 years from time to time. He said it does not take very long but I have to remove the top so that it sits flat on the machine. I did the same thing like in the 90s with a Miata top at the same place, think it was about the same price back then. I remember that one because it was riveted in the back and I was in some uncomfortable positions drilling those out but he would have charged me like $400 if I just brought the car and I am cheap and love doing the work anyway. If you pull your top off and want the name of the place I will be happy to give it to you in a PM. I love convertibles and have 3 in the garage right now.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #24

Local upholstery shop did mine last year after mine split also. I did a glass rear window with defroster/ plug and play. The new top also came with the interior liner that the S comes with from factory. Here in the northeast US it cost me $1800 out the door. Came out great
2001 Boxster 986 S, 6spd, arctic silver, black interior with black rear glass top, 18" staggered black powder-coated Porsche twists, aftermarket exhaust, smoked headlights and taillights, 20mm rear hubcentric billet wheel spacers, 5mm front billet wheel spacers, de-snorkled, passenger airbag switch, 997 shifter upgrade, LN engineering dual row update, Koni FSD with H&R sport springs, Joe Toth composites rear duck tail spoiler.
marcoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #25

Garage
DrCactus,

Check around local wreckers for a replacement top. Go on car-part.com and do a search on Boxster roof. I found a complete roof assembly with an aftermarket replacement canvas (I think it's GAHH) with glass window. Wrecker sold it to me for $500...

Just have to put it on now! That being said, my current top is in very good shape with a plastic window that was sewn in after the fact. If you can wait a few weeks, I would be willing to sell it to you once I get the new one on. Here's a pic of the old roof:

dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote