Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 760
Garage
Ideal Tire Size

What do you think is the perfect tire size for street performance on

Turbo Twists 18" Front 7.5 ET45 and Rear 9" ET52

I am upgrading from 17" to 18"s this summer and am looking for the perfect style, look, balance and street performance. Probably will get either BFG or Michelen Summer Tires

__________________
5280 Cruising @High Altitude
Seal Gray & K&N Filter
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver
 
Deserion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,241
Garage
Front: 225/40/18
Rear: 265/35/18

Those are the OE sizes for 18" wheels.
__________________
-Chris
2004 Porsche Boxster 2.7
1991 Porsche 911 C2 Targa
1995 Mercedes-Benz E320
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:44 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Xpit77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
What do you think is the perfect tire size for street performance on

Turbo Twists 18" Front 7.5 ET45 and Rear 9" ET52

I am upgrading from 17" to 18"s this summer and am looking for the perfect style, look, balance and street performance. Probably will get either BFG or Michelen Summer Tires
Take a look at the Firestone Indy`s before you buy. I run 18`s 225/40 265/35 .Really like them. Quiet and good in the wet.Nice price too.
__________________
99 Boxster 88 944S sold
Xpit Formula Four sold
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
63 MG Midget sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #4
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,336
Garage
For "street" performance tires look at Pilot SuperSports. Not low cost, but simply a great tire. For lower cost options, Sumitomo HTR ZIII and Hankook Ventus V12
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,259
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
What do you think is the perfect tire size for street performance on

Turbo Twists 18" Front 7.5 ET45 and Rear 9" ET52

I am upgrading from 17" to 18"s this summer and am looking for the perfect style, look, balance and street performance. Probably will get either BFG or Michelen Summer Tires
Front: 235/40/18
Rear: 265/35/18

Is what I run to minimize understeer, the 235 fits fine on OE wheels which have ET 50 offset
__________________
2000 S Speed Yellow LN 3.6L cylinders & pistons, triple row IMSB upgrade, R&R connecting rods, billet tensioner paddle&,oilpump driveshaft.Heads rebuilt by F6I with new valves & springs.Cayman airbox & MAF housing, 996 intake plenum & 75mm T/B. Fabspeedsport converters &Dansk muffler
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,336
Garage
You need to be a little careful with 235 on the front, it can rub the fender liner at full lock
depends a bit on what actual tire you use. Check the diameters and see where you are
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #7
1997, PCA Riverside
 
rexcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 1,093
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
For "street" performance tires look at Hankook Ventus V12
I put the Hankooks on +/- 8 weeks ago. Very pleased with them and paid $630 all in.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:32 PM   #8
Registered User
 
911monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,272
Garage
What is the "Ideal" tire size???? Well what the engineers put on the sticker under the hood of course. Personal preference may vary.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:12 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 760
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
What is the "Ideal" tire size???? Well what the engineers put on the sticker under the hood of course. Personal preference may vary.
The manufacturers put the most economical; I'm seeking inputs from a variety of perspectives vs "personal preference" from engineers.

Inputs from everyone have been informative.

Cheers
__________________
5280 Cruising @High Altitude
Seal Gray & K&N Filter
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #10
Registered User
 
911monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,272
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
The manufacturers put the most economical; I'm seeking inputs from a variety of perspectives vs "personal preference" from engineers.

Inputs from everyone have been informative.

Cheers
Ummm. No. Porsche engineers choose tires based on desired handling and safety for the masses such as desired understeer characteristics. Porsches engineers even specify N spec tires to obtain these ratings, which may be overkill for some personal preferences. I'm not saying a manufacturer such as KIA doesn't choose the cheapest (economical) but Porsche engineers have certain performance objectives in mind when they specify sizes. If you read the post above concerning the 235 tread width it is done for personal preference which is a desire to tune out a little of the understeer.

Last edited by 911monty; 03-22-2017 at 09:59 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #11
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,336
Garage
You do need to look at actual tread width. It varies a lot from tire to tire.
You can have 225's that are actually wider than 235's
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:55 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 760
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Ummm. No. Porsche engineers choose tires based on desired handling and safety for the masses such as desired understeer characteristics. Porsches engineers even specify N spec tires to obtain these ratings, which may be overkill for some personal preferences. I'm not saying a manufacturer such as KIA doesn't choose the cheapest (economical) but Porsche engineers have certain performance objectives in mind when they specify sizes. If you read the post above concerning the 235 tread width it is done for personal preference which is a desire to tune out a little of the understeer.
Sure, and Continental's will suit that need for German vehicles at a cheaper cost than Michelens which are more popular on the performance aspects which many indorse.

Under steer is not all negative either ...

__________________
5280 Cruising @High Altitude
Seal Gray & K&N Filter
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page