Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
Beginner

Garage
Has Anyone De-Pinned the Socket on the headlight?

Currently installing Fred's projectors and the insulation on the headlight harness wires is mainly missing. Would like to go back with all new wiring if possible. Can splice and shrink tube if needed but would prefer de-pinning and going 100% new.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
Beginner

Garage
Patience, and posting asking for help after an hour of frustration pays off!! I got one! Tricky little devils.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I use a small jeweler's screwdriver (flat head). Insert it into each of the 2 slots on the side of each pin and twist it back and forth to flatten out the clips. I can have all 7 out in about 2 minutes.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #4

related to this, have you guys figured out how to unclip the connection down by the indicator light (with the 2 prongs, where it goes down through the housing to the outside)? looks like it should be able to unclip and/or twist or something to remove, but I've had no luck. should I just desolder them from the posts?

Last edited by oldskool73; 03-15-2017 at 07:51 PM.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #5

And other one... when rewiring, would you put the old h7 plugs back on or just female crimp connects?
Old 03-15-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
related to this, have you guys figured out how to unclip the connection down by the indicator light (with the 2 prongs, where it goes down through the housing to the outside)? looks like it should be able to unclip and/or twist or something to remove, but I've had no luck. should I just desolder them from the posts?
Yes, it unplugs. If you look closely, there are small nipples that protrude through slots, but one is hidden by the housing. If you loosen the one you can see (again, with s small jeweler's flat head), then it will unplug.

I always reuse the h7 connectors for a cleaner look.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:26 PM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Here you go...

However, if you are just rewiring the inside and have the headlight apart, just solder the new wires to the inner posts (or are you fixing the external bulb socket wires?)
Old 03-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #8

thanks PW... although I actually meant how to get the bit with the posts in, in the left of your hand, out from where it's set inside the case? I can raise the clip at the front and twist it, but the tabs are keeping it locked down still. Or do I need to get the bottom bit in the right of your hand unclipped first before it comes out? ... or I could just solder to the posts and forget it

Yeah I've already redone the wiring once, but I used crimp connectors thinking it'd save space but it just looks a bit messy, might cut them off and put the h7's back instead.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Ah, I see. Well, for the sake of clarity, here are some more pictures.
The connector piece has two tabs that lock into rails on the housing. Twisting it a few degrees may help, but I just use brute force and push it out (into the housing). It takes a good bit of force, but not too difficult.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:34 AM   #10
Beginner

Garage
PW thank you so much for posting the headlight lens removal procedure on YouTube. That really took the mystery out allowing me to disassemble my headlight without breaking it.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:51 AM   #11
Beginner

Garage
Another question for PW, do you have any experience with putting the ballast for Fred's kit on the inside of the headlight? I'd like to go that route for a clean installation, but I've read that it is / is not ok from a heat standpoint.