Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
jwh

Need Advice; Is my '98 at risk for engine failure?

I need advice; I have a beautiful 1998 Boxster with 23K miles on it that I am trying to sell... an interested buyer told me that he had learned of potential problems with Boxster engines that are a big liability... that he would not buy without having a separately purchased warranty in place. Is there really a systematic problem with these engines that can lead to serious failure or is this guy exaggerating? If so, what are the warning signs? Thank you!

jwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh
I need advice; I have a beautiful 1998 Boxster with 23K miles on it that I am trying to sell... an interested buyer told me that he had learned of potential problems with Boxster engines that are a big liability... that he would not buy without having a separately purchased warranty in place. Is there really a systematic problem with these engines that can lead to serious failure or is this guy exaggerating? If so, what are the warning signs? Thank you!
Hi,

Hate to be the bearer of Bad news, but yes, there are inherent flaws in the M96 Engine (986, 987 + S, 996, 997, Cayman S - not the TT) Porsche never got the Rear Main Seal correct (actually casting the Block) and so a relatively high number do fail, probably between 10-15%, maybe more because Porsche isn't telling.

Also, the Car can suffer from Intermediate Shaft failure, mostly post '02 because Porsche redesigned it and removed one of three bearings. The signs of RMS are Oil leaking from the center underside of the motor, usually progressive, but sometimes catastrophic failure. Intermediate shaft has no warning signs, one minute you're OK, the next - adios Seňor Motor...

All is not lost, your car is coming to the far side mileage of when these usually occur. Doesn't mean you're out of the woods, but the odds are building in your favor. Be upfront to a prospect if they mention it, but also let them know that not all cars experience this and those which do are usually at lower miles than yours is currently. Who'd ever thought that higher mileage would be a benefit in selling a car?...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
jwh

Thank you for the quick reply

well... that's comforting and disturbing at the same time. The car was first owned by a fanatical friend of mine who had the Mobil-1 changed every spring & fall for it's first six years and 17K miles... so few cars have been better maintained. It doesn't sound like this is a maint. issue though... rather the luck of the draw with respect to the engine block. Oh well... I hope I can get $19K for it.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
creseida

I bought my 98 two years ago with 24k on the clock. I now have 40k on the clock, and they have been 16k trouble free miles. A few weeks back I did find a Spot on the garage floor, and the first thought through my mind was, "Oh $#!T ...RMS." Nah, just a loose bolt on the pan. Problem solved.

Just curious though, why are you selling?
Old 06-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #5

I recently bought a '98 with 28k. As for the engine, I was fully aware, from reading this board, of the issue. I did a Pre Purchase Inspection and your buyer should also. If the PPI comes back clean, he should be satisfied. I think $19,000 is fair for the car and reflects the general market value for Boxsters of that age and mileage (which takes the engine issue into consideration as well).

My best advice: keep the car and get rid of the buyer. Otherwise, hold firm for the $19,000.
Arona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #6
jwh

car is sold

Well, the buyer did come through with $19K - so I think I got a fair price. I am selling because I am feeling the pinch financially and my daily driver (99 Passat V6 5-speed with HR OE's and Bilsteins) has 146K on the odo - seems another $1000 fix-up is always just around the corner for the Passat, though I love the car. Thank you for the thoughtful replies.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:21 PM   #7

so Jim, is my '98 with 49,000 the other side of the problem? It runs great. I bought it in January with 46,000.
sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner
so Jim, is my '98 with 49,000 the other side of the problem? It runs great. I bought it in January with 46,000.
Hi,

If I were truly clairvoyant, I'd buy a seat on the Stock Exchange... But, I would have to say that you're most probably beyond the likelyhood of such a problem (with all the uncertainty that such a prediction entails).

Proper Mantenance and proper Driving is the key. I have never found a Euro Sports Car that can take abuse like a Camaro or Mustang, they simply do not have that much extra built-in. But, if reasonably maintained and driven, I doubt you'll have any problem...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 06-25-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #9

So what is proper driving?
sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner
So what is proper driving?
Hi,

On a Boxster, that would mean no dropping the clutch, or lugging the engine. Don't consistently bounce off the rev limiter or redline. Keep them moving as their cooling systems usually lack the excess capacity common in American cars and too much heat can kill an engine, especially a mid-engine where there is less airflow to aid in cooling, leaving it 98% up to the Oil and Coolant.

Not that you have to drive like an old lady, quite the opposite, these things were meant to be driven, but they lack low-end torque, stay in the sweet spot and keep the engine where it's operating at it's best and where it was designed and geared to run. You simply can't compete with American Muscle in the same way, they are totally different cars and can be driven a different way, their excess horsepower and torque will accomodate less driver skill without grenading the engine. They'll almost always beat you off the line, but you should overtake them in the first turn.

One of the attractions of Euro cars to me is that the driver must be more skilled to get the same performance from the car without killing it, much more skill than it takes to wring the same performance out of a Japanese or American car.

In these types, the driver must be able to point it correctly and brake properly (no small feat to do well), but in a Euro car, in addition to these things, you also need to understand (read feel) and know how to make the machine work - the driver is more essential to the actual operation of the car as opposed to just the driving of the car.

Realize that I am not dissing Japanese or American Cars (I've owned several examples of each and loved them), or their drivers and fans, just pointing out some of the ways they are different than Euro cars. There's sure to be some opposition to my views and that's OK. Perception always carries with it a certain amount of subjectivity...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 06-25-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ MNBoxster
What does "lugging the engine" means?
Old 06-25-2006, 11:00 PM   #12

lugging the engine is a term that describes putting your engine under a stressful type of load.

The most common example is running your engine at low RPM's but in a high gear, not so much while cruising, but during acceleration - for example going from 30-70mph in 5th gear on flat ground with the gas pedal floored (a definite no-no).

it can cause piston slap - that clunky noise you often hear on beaters, and can cause the pistons and cylinder walls to wear faster - which can lead to engine failure.

HTH,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by larez2
lugging the engine is a term that describes putting your engine under a stressful type of load.

The most common example is running your engine at low RPM's but in a high gear, not so much while cruising, but during acceleration - for example going from 30-70mph in 5th gear on flat ground with the gas pedal floored (a definite no-no).

it can cause piston slap - that clunky noise you often hear on beaters, and can cause the pistons and cylinder walls to wear faster - which can lead to engine failure.

HTH,
Larez2
Hi,

Great Explanation!