Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2017, 11:33 AM   #1

not the usual window issue!!!

Hi all,
New here I'm afraid, and new to boxster ownership so bear with me.
Just bought a 98 boxster with a gearbox problem, fixed that - all good there.
However, when we opened the doors the windows dropped approx 3 inches and wouldn't go back up. After googling and reading handbook we did the reset, all seemed fine. Then after driving about 3 miles they dropped, again by 3 inches. We reset it again, this time they wouldn't go up and instead dropped by about another 3 inches or so. Then they dropped all the way to the bottom. Now we cannot get the windows up at all. They won't raise by the switches, or by locking the door and holding the key over. Seems a bit weird as they were working fine, and the initial problem seemed to be cured by the reset. This is both driver and passenger windows - really odd to be exactly the same to both windows? And obviously the switches, regulators, motors etc were all working perfectly!!!
Any suggestions?

MustBeMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #2

Garage
This sounds an awful lot like a microswitch error in the roof mechanism. Particularly because the window is dropping three inches (like when you try to put the top down) and that it is happening bilaterally. I'd start my investigation there. Not sure what the proper diagnosing strategy is but the symptoms really do sound an awful lot like that microswitch is the culprit. Google or search the forum to get an idea of the part I am referring to; might help to call it the 'roof microswitch'. If this is indeed the problem, replacement would be a quick fix (but trying to fix the microswitch may be the cheapest fix). Hope this helps!
ttmedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmedical View Post
This sounds an awful lot like a microswitch error in the roof mechanism. Particularly because the window is dropping three inches (like when you try to put the top down) and that it is happening bilaterally. I'd start my investigation there. Not sure what the proper diagnosing strategy is but the symptoms really do sound an awful lot like that microswitch is the culprit. Google or search the forum to get an idea of the part I am referring to; might help to call it the 'roof microswitch'. If this is indeed the problem, replacement would be a quick fix (but trying to fix the microswitch may be the cheapest fix). Hope this helps!
Love how medicine kicks in here:
"bilaterally", "diagnosing", and "symptoms".

Neal is offline   Reply With Quote