Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #1

Top will not go up

Hey guys I'm having an issue with my convertible top. It will not go up at all. I washed the car a few hours ago and just got done driving for over an hour. When I got to my destination the top is not going up. No noise or anything. The car was completely dry before I dropped the top. I don't think water got on anything and it's probably just a coincidence. I have noticed my "brake" light did not come on when I pulled up the handbrake but it is fully functional. There was something you have to do but I'm having trouble finding the specifics. I have heard this can cause an issue. I am going to check my fuses and relays which I saw when I searched the forums. If there's anything else that I'm missing I'd appreciate any input. Sorry if I didn't search enough but I'm a bit limited on time. Thanks!

Edit* I have found the issue! Brake light did not come on and I wiggled it side to side and it proceded to light up and turn on. Top went up perfectly after doing this. Looks like I will need a new handbrake switch. I'm honestly a little worried and will probably not operate the top until I replace the switch. Sorry about overreacting a little bit guys. I obviously should've searched a little better before posting.

Last edited by Mr Flat Six; 02-24-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Mr Flat Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flat Six View Post
I have noticed my "brake" light did not come on when I pulled up the handbrake but it is fully functional
one of the main culprits of the top all of a sudden not working is due to the ebrake switch. And especially since your ebrake light won't come on, but your ebrake is still operational, I'm 99% positive it's your ebrake switch.

Happened to me too, don't be alarmed.

What you can do that might fix it temporarily is to pull your ebrake handle up, and push it back down. fast and quick multiple times. and your ebrake light might come on. worked for me.

it's roughly a $20 part to change out that's underneath your center console cubby, easy fix.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL

Last edited by Dubaday; 02-24-2017 at 11:31 AM. Reason: nice, you figured it out before I posted. now go change that ebrake switch! :)
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote