Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2017, 12:17 AM   #1

Tiptronic linkage lock - car can't move

Hey fellas, I could do with any advice on this one

I can't move the car's tiptronic shifter in any gears (R,N,D,M). It is locked in P and I am totally annoyed by that :/ Was sure German cars were good for 99 years (minimum).

Background; took the car for a spin around the block two weeks ago, at a great top speed of 40kmph, came back home, parked it, and placed the car cover back on. All good fun.

Last Sunday: I've recharged the battery for 2~3hrs (the car barely started the week before). I've disconnected the NEG pole of the battery before hooking up the charger.

Today; I've reconnected the pole to the fully charged battery, started the car (wroom!), but can't place it in the Drive gear - or any gears. The shifter is locked into the P position.

Progress: I've dismantle the shifter's push button, thinking the tension spring is broken and stuck in there, but everything turn out in good shaper there.

Immob, sensor/brake pedal, ignition switch? can someone point me in the most obvious direction so that I can (hopefully) get this sorted with your help. I'd hate to flatbed the car with the rear wheels squeaking madly everywhere (that will leave a mark for sure loll)

Old 01-18-2017, 03:06 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Ok, first problem is that you got the Tiptronic tranny. You know how to ride a motorbike, but yet got the TIP? Shame on you! Seriously tho, here's a thread that hopefully helps you. Did you check the brake switch? The car will not allow you to change out of park if it doesn't know that you have your foot on the brake, so maybe the brake switch is faulty.

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/44327-1999-tiptronic-will-not-shift-out-of-park/

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:24 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yes, check that the brake lights come on with the ignition on (brake lights don't work with ignition off), then report back.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Ok, first problem is that you got the Tiptronic tranny. You know how to ride a motorbike, but yet got the TIP? Shame on you!
Hey its a Fliptronic I have,, notice the paddles? I would never own a "tip"tronic. Just the name scares me loll

and I am sooo grateful to you for linking me up to that thread (how did I miss that). That guy, what he said makes my car move. I can actually gear it anywhere using his trick. No-no locked rear wheel on flatbed for me thank you very much.

Rennlist quote for those in the same boat "I've discovered a work around: I push down on the gear shift as I turn on the key in the ignition. As the car starts the gear shift is released and I can move it out of Park into Drive or Reverse. "

Still broken however. First major problem I have with the car, shattered... I was nearly trembling when the only thing that came in my mind was "I-fried-the-immobilizer dumb shish"

^ possible?! got brake lights

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-18-2017 at 03:48 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:05 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Nice flipper mod. I provided the link cause I saw there was a workaround there. Glad it works. Not sure what else it could be though. Shouldn't be the immobilizer cause you were able to start the car.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Nice flipper mod. I provided the link cause I saw there was a workaround there. Glad it works. Not sure what else it could be though. Shouldn't be the immobilizer cause you were able to start the car.
Dont care anymore what it is, already texted "I'm buying lunch tomorrow" to my indy

Man, can you imagine having to 'drag' this old mum onto a flatbed?! 20 years old gears and shafts loll ouch. As long is it moves I'm cool.

I'll report back what it was anyway. Again, appreciated for the link up, brother
Old 01-18-2017, 04:15 AM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Anytime. Glad it doesn't have to go on the dreaded flatbed.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:48 AM   #8

Garage
Please report back on what caused the lock up. Since I am afflicted with the same type of transmission. It's always best to be well informed.

PS Good to have you back Fred. You were missed.
Don
Old 01-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #9
Carnut

Just a thought and I don't know if this is correct....

There are little magnets right under the "curtain" which moves with the shifter. Possible that one of the magnets fell off thus preventing the shift. These magnets are really small, maybe 2-3 mm.

Worth a look? Easy DIY

Later,
Andy
Old 01-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #10

Andy - 2mm magnets can't be an easy diy. Especially if they are hidden under something. You are pulling my leg right? If not then I'll let my Indy's accountant check this out... she sure got longer tools (finger nails) than mine.

Hey Don, ok, I'll fill in when I find out. Not the type of wheel-weight you need on a trip out of town. Keep that "Press Stick + Twist Key" trick in mind. (Been a while bud, good to see you here!)

You need that RAID steering wheel with the paddle shifters, super cool... 145 more horsepower
Old 01-19-2017, 03:51 AM   #11

Did you disconnect the shifter linkage from the transmission ? Sometimes the pivot pin on the tranny becomes corroded and seizes. Simple fix.Clean the pin with emory cloth reconnect.Or it could be the ignition switch. They can cause these problems too.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold

Last edited by Xpit77; 01-19-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #12

Yep, most likely the ign switch or something related to te ign. Mechanically there is no problem, I can with the tip Boxtaboy provided gear normally. No worries there.

We'll see, I'll report when I find out. ps: preliminary/visual troubleshooting; my indy is clueless also, doesn't look good. He is a Porsche car expert, 12~15year exp.

Fingers crossed. Thanks my friend
Old 01-20-2017, 07:13 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
You need that RAID steering wheel with the paddle shifters, super cool... 145 more horsepower
Hey Fred, I thought about the change over (+145 HP would be exciting), but I have that option straight from the factory.

Sorry for the poor quality of the photo (low light and poor flash).