Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #1

Car makes clicking sound when battery is connected

Hi all,

I just picked up a 2002 Base Boxster. It's in pretty rough shape. The battery in it is dead. When I connect up my little jump starter/air compressor, all it does it makes a clicking sound coming from the left side of the driver's footwell area.

Is the speedometer supposed to light up as soon as the door is open?

The car's interior is pretty bad. Water has definitely been leaking into it. Wondering if this issue is related to the water entering the cabin.

Let me know your thoughts.

Also, is there a way to open the frunk using a button? I couldn't get it to open with the key remote.

Thanks!

Prelude Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #2

Garage
Wow, you have your work cut out for you. Time to do a bit of searching in this forum. There are threads about all of the issues you list.

There is nothing as expensive as a cheap Porsche!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude Guy View Post
Hi all,

I just picked up a 2002 Base Boxster. It's in pretty rough shape. The battery in it is dead. When I connect up my little jump starter/air compressor, all it does it makes a clicking sound coming from the left side of the driver's footwell area.

Is the speedometer supposed to light up as soon as the door is open?

The car's interior is pretty bad. Water has definitely been leaking into it. Wondering if this issue is related to the water entering the cabin.

Let me know your thoughts.

Also, is there a way to open the frunk using a button? I couldn't get it to open with the key remote.

Thanks!
The driver's footwell area is where most of the relays are. That is most likely the source of the clicking. I expect that the central locking unit/Immobilizer box under the driver's seat is corroded. That will effect a lot of the electrical system. Pull it out, open it and dry it and clean any corrosion as best you can (including the connectors). Try to resist applying power again until you get that sorted out.

You may be able to search out the cable that manually opens the frunk. Usually in the right side wheel well behind the fender liner at the back of the headlight.
Here's a link to how to open the frunk latch by applying power directly to the wire that leads to the latch mechanism on the '01-'04s
How to open hood when battery is good

Last edited by 78F350; 01-06-2017 at 12:24 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #4

Thank you so much for the info. I haven't had a chance to research much. Wanted to get the post up as soon as I could.

Your info is VERY helpful.

Anker, this isn't my first car I've bought like this. Almost all of the cars I buy are like this. Lol

I have plans for it even if I can't get it running.

I've yet to lose money on any of the cars I've bought. This one shouldn't be any different. :-)

Prelude Guy is offline   Reply With Quote