Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017, 10:23 PM   #1

1997 986 convertible top help

Hello guys, hoping to get some help on my 1997 986.

This morning I went out to start my car and saw that it was hooking, not like the alarm just a constant honk. I unlocked it manually since my key does not work and it stoped for a little bit but then kept going. I then inserted the key to the ignition and it stoped honking but realized the numbers on the dash were faded and I assumed water got in somehow since it has been raining where I live. So I put the top down in hopes that I could let the car dry up (because it was humid inside) but as I was putting the top down, the convertible sounded a bit weak. I drove the car for about 15 min and when I went to put the top back up it tried to go up, again weak, but stoped and was just stuck about. I took it to a local convertible shop and the guy told me it was the convertible motor. Does anyone els know what it could be? I still think it just something Electricle but I'm not sure what, hoping I can find some help on here.

Thank you in advance.

Abad986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #2

You may have an electrical fault, but it also sounds like a flat battery with the dash lights fading - check the voltage at the battery terminals (should be 12.6v). If less than 12.3v, charge your battery and go from there....
A 15 minute drive will not help a flat battery, you will have to charge it for at least 6-8 hours.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #3

Hello Steve, I Checked the battery and it seems to be fine. I realized that my horn is also not working and I'm starting to think water may have got to the ECU.

Abad986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convertible