Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #1

Garage
Stupid simple question

Okay, earlier I posted a thread asking if anyone might chime in and helping me determine what the cause of a thumping sound might be on my 99" Boxster upon a hard take off. Everyone was more than thankful.

Now I have a stupid question because I'm new to the Porsche World.

How many Motor Mounts does the 99" Boxster have? I know it requires two transmission Mounts, but do I need one or also two motor mounts?

thank you all

19steelers74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #2

one motor mount.

it sometimes gets confusing when you start researching online because the 911, with it's reversed engine, uses the motor mount as a transmission mount and the transmission mounts as motor mounts.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Changing the motor mount is a reasonable easy DIY.
You can buy just the insert for around $40 rather than the entire assembly for around $150 (IIRC)
If you do the insert, you will need a press to remove the old insert and and press in the new one

As a while your in there...
Replace the water pump and thermostat. It also makes it easier to do the motor mount as you have the hoses disconnected
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:59 PM   #4

Garage
To answer your question directly, the Boxster has one motor mount and two transmission mounts!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:35 AM   #5
Project Addicted

It's mounted right at the front of the engine, in the middle. It is a bit buried in there and a bit of a PIA to get in and out. It's taked some twisting and turning to R&R the thing.

Mine was fully broken with no rubber connection from the bracket mount to the engine bolt

What the good mount looks like.

Cut old sleeve with sawzall or hack saw, press in new bushing and you are good to go.

Full assembly.

Not bad, you do need a press. You can buy the whole thing new and I think an upgrade is to the Cayman mount. Do some research on that. Now, while you are in there you should replace some stuff as mentioned, Look at the belt and hoses.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #6

Thanks jcslocum for the pictures and quick tutorial! As, I have the same problem and have been dreading tackling this job. The more information and posts, the more confident I become in doing this project.

Thanks JayG for the reminder of other things to do...kind of wish the PO had done the motor mount along with the water pump and thermostat.

Thanks The Radium King for pointing out all the issues I had in researching this job with references of the transmission/motor mount.

Final thanks to 19steelers74 for asking the question a second time and getting all the information I needed as well. Minus being a steelers fan..not bad lol

Converse986Black is offline   Reply With Quote