Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #1

2001 base model speakers?

My door panels have speaker covers on them but I am unable to get any sound out of either side! Is it possible that this was an option at time of original purchase and the original owner decided not to do? Dash only speakers? Vehicle does not have rear shelf speakers if that helps with any answers!

jerry and sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:15 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I have an 01, and it came with speakers in doors and dash. I added the rear shelf speaker kit (much needed btw).

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:27 AM   #3

Garage
The factory door speakers are low frequency only and not that loud. Replaced the dash speakers with a pair of Alpines. What a difference!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
I have an 01, and it came with speakers in doors and dash. I added the rear shelf speaker kit (much needed btw).
Was the wiring already there for the rear speaker? Or did you have to run wiring to head unit?

Last edited by jerry and sons; 12-28-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:07 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry and sons View Post
Was the wiring already there? Or did you have to run wiring to head unit?
It came wired and working already. I didn't have to do anything. Even with them, the sound sucked without rear speakers though.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I think the most basic versions had dash only speakers, so yours may not have door speakers wired. If you purchased the "Hi FI" sound system option, you'd get dash and door speakers with an amp in your front trunk (right behind the spare tire). If not, you'd only get dash speakers.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 12-28-2016 at 05:34 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #6

Does anybody know the size of the door speakers? Do I need an amp to run the door speakers?
Old 12-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #7

Base model only came with dash speakers, so I think you will need to run some wires to the doors. You will not need an amp - your deck will power door speakers - and you will notice a huge difference in sound.

But - if you are looking for a good, quality sound, you have a lot of work to do my friend. The plus is - there are a ton of good threads on this forum for you to use. You can spend a little or a lot....depending on the quality of the speakers. Just do some searching and you will have an avalanche of info.

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2016, 03:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry and sons View Post
Does anybody know the size of the door speakers? Do I need an amp to run the door speakers?
I really think that if you have speaker grilles already, you also already have door speakers. And, you already have a special amp to drive them--they are subwoofers. Your option code list should include M490. You can see the amp in your front trunk.

You haven't stated whether you have the original radio. Sometimes aftermarket installations don't match up exactly with OE speaker/amp wiring.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Base model only came with dash speakers, so I think you will need to run some wires to the doors
Incorrect.

The door speakers are subwoofers and are part of option M490, which can be installed on base or S. This option also includes an amp in the front trunk which is 4X40 watts, the 4 channels being 2 dash speakers and 2 door subwoofers.

I'm pretty sure that if option M490 is not fitted, there are no speaker grilles in the door panels.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:15 AM   #10

Garage
I have a 99 base with the M490 option. I recently replaced the dash speakers and door speakers. Door speakers are 5.25 I believe. Replaced the amp with a 6 channel from a 996 cabrio, added 6 speakers to the rear storage deck and a DD HU off Ebay. I have an aftermarket muffler that is loud and at 100mph with the top down I can hear the music just fine. It is a worthwhile upgrade!
Old 12-31-2016, 01:26 PM   #11

There were Boxster and Boxster S models sold with only dash speakers, but those cars had no speaker grills in the door cards, just carpet along the bottom of the door card. My 2003 S is one of those cars. If you just recently got this car, it may be that a previous owner changed the door cards for ones with speaker grills and there are no speakers or wires in the doors. Or it may be that there are speakers and wires but due to a radio change or some other equipment or wiring failure, there is no sound coming out of the door speakers. Have you tried adjusting the fader and balance on the radio to see if you can get any sound from the doors? If that doesn't do anything, you should pull a door card and see what is in the door.

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote