Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #1

hardtop?

Hello everyone, my first post!
I"m thinking of fitting my 2001 boxster DD with a hardtop in Winter. Any negatives I should consider?
Thanks.

boxsterboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:23 AM   #2

I drive mine year round.The only issue I found was with the windshield washer.With no engine heat in the front the jets tend to freeze over. Something to be aware of.Other than that nothing.Mine is parked in an unheated garage but it has sat outside in -30 C snow covered and it started.Have fun.I purchased a storage bag for it and installed two bike hooks in the garage ceiling to hang it up out of the way .
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold

Last edited by Xpit77; 12-20-2016 at 03:27 AM.
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:14 AM   #3

The only negative I can think of is that you will need to find a place to store it when you don't have it on the car. Also, if you have a warm day in winter, you cannot spontaneously drop the top and enjoy the day.

Overall, I'm glad I have mine.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:00 AM   #4

Having the top down is one of the best features of the boxster. In most of Texas the hardtop is only needed in the summer when the sun is blaring down at a million degrees. Spring, winter and fall are great times to have the top down here. I don't enjoy the hardtop like everyone else seems to because even in the summer there are times when it's nice enough to take the top down. Like Kevin said, it's a pain to take off quickly by yourself and store. It also gets in the way of checking your PS fluid and air filter. I have one and might never use it again.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:45 AM   #5

I'm with Woody, once I got my hardtop it took up huge amounts of room in the garage. I got it mounted, and drove it for a few weeks, but then I needed to get to the engine compartment and I had to get my son to help me take it off, and it ended up in his bedroom on the top bunk of the bunk bed. It has been sitting there ever since...

I think that to really enjoy one you would need a storage rack or one of those hoists with some straps that lets one person raise/lower it and install it by themselves. With no storage rack it takes up sooo much room
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:33 AM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Besides storage space, in my opinion there are no negatives to getting a hardtop. You have a few options for storage: a hoist, a rack, or a wall mount. The top isn't particularly heavy (55lbs) but they are big and awkward so you will need two people to take it on/off without a hoist.

A few things to note:

-Once the hard top is on for the winter, leave it on. Putting your soft top up/down below 70° F will risk cracking the plastic window, unless you have upgraded to a glass window
-The hardtop will take a while to settle/mold to your 986, and will need to be adjusted (3 screws on each side above the spinlocks) for the first few weeks to get the best, least squeaky fit. I have written how to do this before, a search should turn it up.
-Cut a piece for felt/fleece to place over the plastic window when you fold the top for the last time, or use PN: 986 563 855 01
-If you are driving below 40° make sure you have winter tires, or at least all seasons, summer times are very risky below 40° F
-If you ski get a RTS.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:47 AM   #7

No real negatives as long as you have a place to store it in the off season and someone to help you to put it on and take it off. Getting the spin locks, the latch cover and the pieces that cover the windshield header tab inserts if you need them can be a challenge if you don't want to pay a lot! The first year I had my hard top it wore a bit of the black paint off the trim on the forward edge of the clamshell. I made a rack from 2x4 lumber and covered it with foam pipe insulation, so it sits out of the way in my garage in the off season. There was a neat Porsche OEM wall rack and cover available, they come up on eBay and Craigslist from time to time, I had already made my rack and bought my generic cover by the time I found one of those sets so I passed.

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:51 AM   #8
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Wouldn't it be easier...

.....to just buy a Cayman?

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
No real negatives as long as you have a place to store it in the off season and someone to help you to put it on and take it off. Getting the spin locks, the latch cover and the pieces that cover the windshield header tab inserts if you need them can be a challenge if you don't want to pay a lot! The first year I had my hard top it wore a bit of the black paint off the trim on the forward edge of the clamshell. I made a rack from 2x4 lumber and covered it with foam pipe insulation, so it sits out of the way in my garage in the off season. There was a neat Porsche OEM wall rack and cover available, they come up on eBay and Craigslist from time to time, I had already made my rack and bought my generic cover by the time I found one of those sets so I passed.

That is a nice wall rack, that's what I need!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
That is a nice wall rack, that's what I need!
Thanks, I should have used a square instead of eyeballing it, it's not completely square. But it was inexpensive, is overbuilt and does the job. The rope through the 2 eye hooks on the sides is probably overkill, but if someone slammed a door inside the house I wouldn't want the hard top to land on my Boxster!
Old 12-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterboxster View Post
Hello everyone, my first post!
I"m thinking of fitting my 2001 boxster DD with a hardtop in Winter. Any negatives I should consider?
Thanks.
People telling you what a nice Ford Thunderbird you have?

Seriously, though...it's weird looking.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #12

I love the wall rack. I should do that with mine. That's the only thing I don't like about it, the lost floor space. And in my garage, that premium space!!

The only negative that I have heard was my mechanic did tell me that keeping the top down for extended periods was not a good idea. The reasons he gave were:
1. There is a mechanism in there that needs to be actuated to keep it from getting brittle (I don't know what the part is).
2. He mentioned that keeping is down will trap moisture (not a huge problem where I live (Az).

The only other thing I can add is that the tops have a tendency to squeak at the rubber seals. You may need to remove it or at least slight pull it off to wipe silicone spay on it. That seems to take care of the squeaking for about 3 weeks at a time. That could be because of my climate. DON'T SPRY IT ON!! Spray into a rag and wipe it onto the rubber seals.

Other than that have fun with it. Not too much, more better with the top down!! :dance:
BoomerRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #13
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have had my hardtop on for 1-2 years at a time, and never had any issues when I went to use the soft top afterward. Squeaking can be an issue, but adjusting the top as it settles to your car makes a huge difference. I always condition the hardtop seals with Gummi Pfledge when I remove it.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
.....to just buy a Cayman?

Truth be told if there was a Cayman in 2003 I probably would have bought that instead of the Boxster. I don't put the top down often enough, but I try to when I'm driving it on those perfect days we get every so often - not too hot or cold, clear skies, no humidity or wind. This is my fourth 2 seat convertible sports car out of five sports cars over a 43 year span! I always wanted to try a hard top with the first three convertibles and never got a chance. With the hard top it's almost like having 2 cars.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
-If you ski get a RTS.

RTS = Rooftop Transit System ????
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #16

thanks

This is great! lots of good suggestions, except "buy a Cayman" what, you think I'm made of deutchmarks?
Thx allhttp://www.986forum.com/forums/images/smilies/cheers.gif
boxsterboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #17
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
The only negative I can think of is that you will need to find a place to store it when you don't have it on the car. ...
Just pick up a couple spares and you won't have to worry about a place to keep the top. ...Admittedly it is a bit harder now with just four Boxsters and the silver tops, not going well with the Biarritz White.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:53 PM   #18
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
RTS = Rooftop Transit System ????
Yes, Roof Transport System.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:19 AM   #19
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I bought a rolling cart, with cover, for +/- $100 on eBay. I don't have ceiling height for a hoist or wall space for a holder.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Just pick up a couple spares and you won't have to worry about a place to keep the top. ...Admittedly it is a bit harder now with just four Boxsters and the silver tops, not going well with the Biarritz White.
What's going on with the first silver Boxster? It looks like there is no passenger seat?