Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #1

Garage
Trickle Charger Pops out Of Lighter

I've got the Porche Trickle charger plugged into the Boxster's lighter socket and the unit plugged into the wall (red dot light on). Occasionally, when I notice the red dot light not on on the outlet, I check the socket on the cigarette lighter and it has come loose. Is it supposed to do that or is it loose and I should work on it?

Should the red dot light stay on always?

Thanks,

Rich

Old 12-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #2

Early Boxsters have an unusual size cig lighter and many replace it with the later version, which is more compatible with everyday plug-in accessories.

Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Cigarette Lighter Socket Upgrade - 1997-01

Search for installation instructions, as this is a fairly tricky retrofit
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
You're right about it being tricky changing it out. I did, and had to basically break the old one out. New one goes in easy and fits plugs better.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
I've got the Porche Trickle charger plugged into the Boxster's lighter socket and the unit plugged into the wall (red dot light on). Occasionally, when I notice the red dot light not on on the outlet, I check the socket on the cigarette lighter and it has come loose. Is it supposed to do that or is it loose and I should work on it?

Should the red dot light stay on always?

Thanks,

Rich
With the Porsche charger, the red light doesn't always stay on. Once the battery is charged, it will stop charging/light will go off, and then will come back on to maintain. That's how mine works.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #5

Garage
In the mean time, make a wedge by carving it from a clothes pin and use it to wedge it into place.

Anker
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #6

Is there a little ring of (IIRC black or red) plastic that is a separate part that fits over the end of the plug that goes into the cig socket? Mine had one to help hold it in place on my '99 and '01.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
With the Porsche charger, the red light doesn't always stay on. Once the battery is charged, it will stop charging/light will go off, and then will come back on to maintain. That's how mine works.
How many hours/days before it comes back on? Mine was off for 2 days before I opened the door and pushed the socket back into the cigarette lighter and light came on.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Is there a little ring of (IIRC black or red) plastic that is a separate part that fits over the end of the plug that goes into the cig socket? Mine had one to help hold it in place on my '99 and '01.
No, nothing like that
Old 12-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
In the mean time, make a wedge by carving it from a clothes pin and use it to wedge it into place.

Anker
I would do that, but I don't want to force it in to stay if it is supposed to pop out when battery is charged
Old 12-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
I would do that, but I don't want to force it in to stay if it is supposed to pop out when battery is charged
It doesn't pop out when the battery is charged. Only the light turns off.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
It doesn't pop out when the battery is charged. Only the light turns off.
Ok, I'll keep an eye on it. Light turned on as soon as I winterized the Boxster, yet the battery was fully charged
Old 12-04-2016, 04:18 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Ok, I'll keep an eye on it. Light turned on as soon as I winterized the Boxster, yet the battery was fully charged
It always does that (light comes on in the beginning, right as you plug in) even if you've just driven your car and think the battery is fully charged. Leave it in for a while, and the light will go off, and on again when it's charging again. Don't worry so much about the light..the charger will do it's job. The plug should not be popping out of the socket though.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:42 AM   #13

You might be able to find an o-ring to slide over the charger piece that goes into the cig lighter that will snug the fit . Same idea Mike was suggesting with the red/black ring that came with the chargers.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:42 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
You might be able to find an o-ring to slide over the charger piece that goes into the cig lighter that will snug the fit . Same idea Mike was suggesting with the red/black ring that came with the chargers.
The O-ring seems like a solution, I'll search for one; the plug doesn't pop all the way out, just need to wiggle it back in for snug fit and red light returns.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:05 AM   #15

I use the same Porsche charger and don't have any issue with it popping out of the lighter socket. The light on the charger rarely comes on over the winter. Every once and a while, I go out and open a door on the Boxster, which immediately turns on the light on the charger because the dome light turns on. That way I know it's working properly.

Last edited by Dave S.; 12-04-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:46 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
I use the same Porsche charger and don't have any issue with it popping out of the lighter socket. The light on the charger rarely comes on over the winter. Every once and a while, I go out and open a door on the Boxster, which immediately turns on the light on the charger because the dome light turns on. That way I know it's working properly.
Dave,

Thank you!!

That test works. I opened the passenger door (partially removed cover) and the light to the charger came on! I had not paid attention to that before.

Lesson learned! This is my first Porche and my first experience Winterizing it as well.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #17

I had the same problem with my Porsche charger popping out and went with upgrading the cigarette lighter socket as ikchris said in post #2. Pretty sure I bought the kit from Suncoast, but might have bought it from Pelican (I try to buy things from Pelican since they sponsor these forums).

Since changing over to the narrower socket (which includes a new lighter) everything fits properly (GPS, iPod transmitter, phone charger, etc) and things no longer fall out.

I had no problems changing it over, but there was a post here on the forums (do a search) that had some info that made the job a lot easier.