Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

getting a Boxster tach to work with a 4 cyl engine?

Greetings all. I am wondering if anyone has been down this path? I am trying to get a 1.8t engine to work with a 1999 Boxster tach, is there maybe a signal converter I could use to correct the signal from my ECM to the Boxster tach?

Andrew-

xoo00oox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #2

Nobody been down this road? I'm going to see what I can do with Dakota Digital SGI-8E.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
What Boxster has a 1.8t?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
You may want to check with Sassmatt72. He did a 4 cyl Subaru swap into his 98.

Also Vlad may be able to help you out. He did a V8 swap. Looks like he ended up using the Dakota Digital converter in his build after considering other options.
V8 Conversion
Rolling Shell - Follow My Porsche Boxster V8 Build
Old 11-25-2016, 10:00 PM   #5

This might work for you:
TACH-ADAPT
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:10 PM   #6

Are you trying to get it work in a 986 Box or in another car?

And what electronic system has the car, if it's not a 986 Box.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:13 AM   #7

My Boxster has a 1.8t, at least it is in the process of getting one.
I bought it with a bad engine. The car looks like new inside and out, only 70k miles.
I realized I could get the same HP as the stock 2.5 and save about 150lbs and a bunch of $$ going with this engine.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll look into each of those later today.

Andrew-
Old 11-26-2016, 11:53 AM   #8

Hope you get it to work. Did you already install the engine? Any pics of how it sits in there. Seems like it is longer and taller. I actually have both (own a TT and Boxster) and must admit that I can totally see why you would want that engine in there as my TT will blow the doors of even a S with just slight mods on the 1.8. I built an all forged 2.0 stroker (integrated engineering kit) that is going in next with a big turbo so that I can give TT911s a run for their money. Boxster remains stock as to build to the level that the TT is would cost 3 times as much. Besides, Boxster is a nice handling slow cruiser while the TT is a zippy daily commuter with a much nicer and more comfortable interior.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdz View Post
Hope you get it to work. Did you already install the engine? Any pics of how it sits in there. Seems like it is longer and taller. I actually have both (own a TT and Boxster) and must admit that I can totally see why you would want that engine in there as my TT will blow the doors of even a S with just slight mods on the 1.8. I built an all forged 2.0 stroker (integrated engineering kit) that is going in next with a big turbo so that I can give TT911s a run for their money. Boxster remains stock as to build to the level that the TT is would cost 3 times as much. Besides, Boxster is a nice handling slow cruiser while the TT is a zippy daily commuter with a much nicer and more comfortable interior.

I do have it in. It is capable of moving the Box around the yard. I still have finishing up to do.
I tied the exhaust into the stock muffler annd decided it's way too quiet. I want a little noise to have some fun with it. The cooling system is all tied in. The intake system is mostly done, I have the intercooler behind the left scoop and air filter behind the right scoop.
I own a VW/Audi shop in upstate NY, I work on a lot of Vanagons. I love these engines. We put 1.8t engines in them too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A0EQ9XMA4TE

I was very close to putting a TDI Diesel engine in this car, even had one in place as a mock up.

I'll try to post some pictures if anyone is interested.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #10

Hello,

what engine type is the 1.8 T 20V? What ECU version do you use?

Regards, Markus
Old 11-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hello,

what engine type is the 1.8 T 20V? What ECU version do you use?

Regards, Markus
It is the very popular engine used in VW and Audi cars. Five valve per cylinder, very inexpensive, reliable, available,and tunable.
Early version was drive by cable, later ones drive by wire. I used the early AEB 1.8t in mine. It uses a Bosch ME7.5.

Another big advantage is it bolts right up to the transmission with no adapter being that the VW Passat uses the same transmission.

Last edited by xoo00oox; 11-26-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #12

Hi,

i know what a 1.8 T 20V is.

I was interested in the engine code and the ME version.

So AEB is a very early one with a K3 turbo. 150 HP stock. Was used in Passat 3B, Audi A4, A6.

The 99 (US model year) 2.5 986 has a Bosch DME 5.2.2 and ABS ASR 5.3. This makes things a little complicated, because the alarm / authorization system works different. Also it will be a challenge to get the ABS/ESP to work with a ME 7.5. The tach is for shure not the biggest problem. But if you have somebody who is an experienced programmer, this shouldn't be a problem.

Another issue could be vmax. The AEB is designed has it max power at 5.500 rpm. For shure you can get it a little higher by reprogramming the ecu without harming the engine. But since it is a turbo powered engine you have to note some things if yo do that. The 986 2.5 has it max. rpm at 6.000 rpm. So the vmax speed will be lower. Maybe not a factor in the US, because of speed limits, but in Germany for shure.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 11-27-2016 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:19 AM   #13

Thanks Markus,

I know it will take a bit of electrical work, that's what makes it fun.

I should have about 200hp with the ECM tune I have, I figured I'd try the stock transmission and see how the gearing feels, if I need lowers gears, I've got Passat transmissions here I can bolt in.

Andrew-
Old 11-27-2016, 04:36 AM   #14

Old 11-27-2016, 04:50 AM   #15

I have a 6 speed 02M in my TT225 and the gears are a tad short so I actually like the spacing of the Porsche gears. You can pick up a used K04 for next to nothing with the manifold (around $200 near me on CL) and run close to 270hp that way. BTW, if you have another AEB head laying around the shop that you want to part with cheap I would be a buyer.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdz View Post
I have a 6 speed 02M in my TT225 and the gears are a tad short so I actually like the spacing of the Porsche gears. You can pick up a used K04 for next to nothing with the manifold (around $200 near me on CL) and run close to 270hp that way. BTW, if you have another AEB head laying around the shop that you want to part with cheap I would be a buyer.
bwbz- I'll check on the AEB head, I may have one. I know I've got a few complete engines still in cars. We used to use the AEB for the Vanagon conversions but are usually going with the later 1.8t engines these days. We actually use the 012 transmission in the VAnagon as well giving us a nice 5 speed.

I am looking forward to driving this car and having some fun with it. I had a TT a few years ago, I liked that low gearing.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #17

Tach emulator.
I'll look up the brand if u need.
Mine kept loosing its settings, after a few weeks.

Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote