Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #21

I used this until I changed my HU. Inexpensive and worked great.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/17729201

achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #22

I know that I can replace the head unit and go crazy if I wanted to. What I want is bluetooth with a factory head unit (I am a bit anal about keeping the stock appearance, I have even considered the Porsche Classic Navigation Head Unit for $1,200 but haven't seen it installed in a 986).

It appears that removing the MOST CDR23 and MOST amp and replacing with a CDR-220 with an aftermarket amp is the best route.

Thanks,
Brad
keeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #23

There is another option although a little pricy...The Denison units. They add allthe bells and whistles to a MOST car.

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=125
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #24

Why is it you need Bluetooth? If for your phone, just pull over for the odd phone call. These cars are for driving, two hands on the wheel and focus on the road. The 220 isn't going to give you much more in the way of music enhancement, and I believe the Bluetooth aspect is pretty poor anyways....
It's also not overly expensive, so worth the shot.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #25
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Keep stock head unit...

....and install this:

https://www.amazon.com/iSimple-Hands-Free-Calling-Streaming-Smartphones/dp/B00FRU5UNA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479956367&sr=8-2&keywords=iSimple
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
You can't run speakers straight off of the OEM units. Without an amp, the sound output would be nil.

The OEM equipment is pure garbage (all of them, head units and amps). Don't bother.
Ahem that's a bit of a sweeping statement!

Fortunately whoever purchased my 99 Boxster originally specified the full fat sound pack with Front and rear 6 Speaker system & DSP etc. It sounds far from garbage & is really rather good!

As with all old Porsche options you pays yer money and takes yer choice.
jonogt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:06 AM   #27

It looks like the iSimple Tranzit Blu requires an aux port. I don't believe the CDR23 has an aux port.
keeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #28
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Keeters...

...Negative, Ghostrider!

The iSimple Transit Blu uses either a jack OR it plugs into your FM antenna port.

You bluetooth your phone to the unit, and it bypasses the FM antenna and plays your music over a chosen FM frequency.

Works great!

I have one in my '04 SE with BOSE and MOST.

Good luck.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #29

+1 on previous post. I use the Tranzit Blu HF through the antenna ports and it works fine. I would anticipate that sound quality through AUX would be better as the signal is not modulated/demodulated. Not bad anyway.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #30

I too would prefer to maintain the look of the factory deck, but it would be nice to have bluetooth ability. I found this, but I have yet to try it out. But this is what I plan on doing. Take a look:

AUX-BKR Auxiliay input Jack for Select Becker Radios with CD Changer :: Auxiliary Input Adapters

or

3.5-BKRCD Auxiliay input Adapter for Becker Radios with CD Changer :: Auxiliary Input Adapters

Plus you'll want this: BRRT Becker Radio Removal Tools :: Accessories

I intend on getting the one that adds the AUX female plug that I'll install somewhere in the cockpit. This particular one requires that the CD changer remains connected and operational. The internal software in the stereo deck already have the previsions for an AUX input.

It's not an ideal BT connection because it will only be BT connected when in AUX mode, but for purposes of streaming music, it'll work just fine. On the other hand, say you're listening to the radio and a call comes in, it will not be BT connected (only when you're in AUX mode).

This is how I understand the system to work, but again, I have yet to actual do the install. If you like this and beat me to it, please do tell!!

Good luck,
BoomerRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:13 AM   #31

I wanted to modernize my radio and by the time my questions were answered I was not going to buy a new stereo for 600 to 1000. after much pondering I bought a motorola bluetooth from Verizon that worked with my samsung smartphone and I downloaded pandora, sirius and it plays through the stereo speakers. The output is most of the time perfect except sometimes powerlines will give static but that is rarely. A lot cheaper than buying a new stereo. Another plus is that since it is working through the bluetooth and car speakers you can modulate the voice output better. I have to say that since we are all enamored with the audio output of the engine the quality of the stereo is secondary. Really, top down cruising at 85 the wind , the noise who cares about the stereo just crank it high. That's the Boxster ride enjoying the elements.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:07 AM   #32

Hi thom4782

Noticed you have some 6.5 K2's in the doors.
Was just wondering how they fitted in.
This was my gumtree project. My model car is a 986
Currently I have 130 K2's in the doors, was an easy job, I just fabricated a ply board panel slapped some of that sound deadener stuff on the doors and skins.
Placed the tweeters in the original speaker area on the dash (I was running 4 inch on the dash before going fully active - but even then it was a hell of a fit "way to close to the air bag on the left" - just running the tweeters up there was a great choice)
Didn’t want to go passive because those crossovers are massive.
So got the DEH-80PRs because it had the crossovers built into the head unit, (but I did think very strongly about integrating the original face plate and pushing the DEH-80 back a bit because I like the stock look too
I also modelled up and fabricated an amp bracket in the front boot, to take 2 of JL-DX400/4 amps
Even got my daughter to jump in the boot with the go pro for final checks once the amps were fitted (8 year olds really come in handy some time)
Used one amp bridged to run the 130 K2 main drivers. Second amp used two channels to run the tweeters from the K2 set.
That left me two channels to bridge for the sub, but was still doing planning on how I would set up the sub and were to put it?
At this stage before the sub was fitted the end result was stunning with full sound more than enough. Total clarity. – Actually I couldn’t get the smile off my face (just lacked a bit of deep notes)
BUT NONE OF THE ABOVE IS WERE THE JOURNEY BEGAN
before I used the right stuff as per above, I tried the newer head unit, did the hack with input plug for iPhone music, did the Bluetooth hack, got the full Bose package “WHAT A WAIST OF TIME AND MONEY” but totally worth the lesson.
Hit the local car audio shop to get some tips and ideas on the sub, they advised me to throw it down near the passenger’s feet. “That wasn’t going to happen” I like the passenger to be comfy too.
So with the rear parcel tray thingy I created a plaster mould and formed my own custom fibreglass sub box I’m running an 8 inch shallow Rockford high end. Once all setup it was totally awesome for me. (The only thing I don’t like about the sub is I can since the cone moving!) so am hoping to replace the 8 inch with two 13WS 5inch utopia.)
Anyway I blew one of my 130K2’s up.
And am looking at Focal 165 KRXS K2 to take their place, if you could give some pointers I would really appreciate it cheers
Attached Images

WRR986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Why is it you need Bluetooth? If for your phone, just pull over for the odd phone call. These cars are for driving, two hands on the wheel and focus on the road. The 220 isn't going to give you much more in the way of music enhancement, and I believe the Bluetooth aspect is pretty poor anyways....
It's also not overly expensive, so worth the shot.
This isn't the 50's!
Bluetooth works great for both phone and audio streaming. It is very inexpensive at this point as well. BT audio is, at worst, FM quality. At best, BT is between FM and CD.

You can always drive with radio and phone off, but when not in the twilight zone, BT is a very nice, modern day capability to have in any car.

Full disclosure: I control door locks and thermostats from my phone, along with securly accepting credit cards!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote