Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #21

Garage
I wonder if one could just cover the plastic with same material as the top and then install a LCD screen with back camera and use that instead of trying to look through a blurry back plastic window.... is this option even legal ? It would be much cheaper and probably better viewing with a 180 degree camera installed in the rear.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
IMHO, go with the OEM '03 or '04. I prefer the look of those over the aftermarket ones.
Where are all you guys finding 03-04 complete tops and frames? Walmart ?
Old 12-09-2016, 07:24 AM   #23
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by navair View Post
Yeah...Walmart has some good deals on these tops.

Seriously though, I got mine from someone on this forum back in 09 when their friend borrowed his Boxster, hit a curb in the rain and so he had to part it out. Top and frame was in perfect condition still though. You can actually search a database for this top on a site (car-part.com), where wreckers across the nation post up if they have this part. Just search for 2003 or 2004 Boxster "Roof", and then choose soft top, roof. There are a few up there now. A friend of mine got his 04 top this way, and it was also in great condition.

I got my 03 top for $700, and prefer it over the look and functionality of the aftermarket GAHH tops which partially block engine access, but if it was gonna be more than $1200, I'd prob just get a GAHH aftermarket top and have someone install it.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by navair View Post
I'm going to guess that people find these tops by contacting Woody, DC Auto, LA Dismantler, Parts Heaven, Craigslist, eBay - wrecked cars and people converting road cars to race cars. Keeping my eyes peeled for the things I've wanted to add to my car is how I've found them.

As the owner of an '03 with a glass rear window and previous owner of 3 convertibles with plastic rear windows, I have to say I love the glass and defroster. But I also want to say that lines of the earlier tops with less bows have better lines, and the pre-'03 cars have cleaner bumper covers. The best looking Boxsters are the earlier years with headlights, taillights and side marker lights de-ambered! So if I had an earlier car, I'd be tempted to go with the aftermarket top with a glass window, despite the more restricted engine access!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
I wonder if one could just cover the plastic with same material as the top and then install a LCD screen with back camera and use that instead of trying to look through a blurry back plastic window.... is this option even legal ? It would be much cheaper and probably better viewing with a 180 degree camera installed in the rear.
Probably up to local laws. I know some makers are thinking of replacing the outside mirrors with cameras and screens. Anything for an additional tenth of a MPG.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #26
Shacky

Well I went with GAHH glass window replacement. Carl's Custom Upholstery did the work. They are awesome to deal with. Professional job at reasonable price.

I love the new top! Now it's off to storage and let top stretch over Winter hibernation

shacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #27
Shacky

I replace whole top. Lousy picture taken at night at gas station. It looks awesome. I do prefer the lines without extra bow. These early models are simple and beautiful.

Tucked her away on storage today. Can't wait for Spring!

BTW I don't have heated mirrors. Anybody try to hook up defrost window direct?
shacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:55 AM   #28
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
The top looks great!! You're gonna love it. That's weird that you don't have the heated mirror switch on the dash, I thought that was standard on all Boxsters.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #29

Cool

I have a stupid question for anyone that can answer........When I got my 02 S almost 4 years ago it came with an extra new top in the box. Its a GAAH with a glass window. I have just kept it in storage because the original top is still in very good condition. When it is time to change the top do I have to get an 03-04 frame with less bows, or can I use the current 02 frame?.......Thanks in advance.
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #30

The high probability is that the top in the box was for the '02S which would be different from a '03-'04 top and structure. A '02 could have either the original plastic window or the glass window replacement. Never heard of a '03-'04 original or replacement with a plastic window. So which does yours have?

Most GAHH tops are for the older plastic window replacement market.

To be sure, see if there is a part number or some documentation that came with the GAHH top possibly in or on the box. That would establish which frame it was meant to mate with.

If intended for the plastic window '97-'02 frame, and you currently have a plastic big window, no frame replacement needed. A set of instructions here.

Last edited by mikefocke; 12-10-2016 at 03:47 PM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #31
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
I have a stupid question for anyone that can answer........When I got my 02 S almost 4 years ago it came with an extra new top in the box. Its a GAAH with a glass window. I have just kept it in storage because the original top is still in very good condition. When it is time to change the top do I have to get an 03-04 frame with less bows, or can I use the current 02 frame?.......Thanks in advance.
If the glass window height is narrow (around 12"), it will fit your '02. If the glass window is larger it would be for the '03-'04 top. Considering the main reason people replace the top is the plastic window breaking, and that '03-'04 replacements tops are rare for that reason, it's a good bet the top you have is for the old style frame your '02 current has.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #32

Cool

Thanks for the replies......I will dig it out of the attic and take a look at the model # and measure the window height.

nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote