Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #1

6'4 250lbs - Boxster as a daily driver?

Hey guys,

I am looking into buying a Boxster S, a car I've wanted for many years, and want to start test driving a few in my area. My only concern is that I am a big tall fella, and I was worried that I may not fit comfortably. I have a daily commute of about 30 miles each day. Are there other big guys out there using the Boxster on daily basis? Does your head hit the top when its down? I read somewhere that the 987 was a bit more roomy, is that true?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks.

vincefury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #2

I'm 6'1" and i fit fine
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I'm 6' and 215lbs, and I fit fine. There's a lot of head room (more than my Audi A4 it seems), but not as much room for leaning back and legroom. If you need more of that, then a 987 will give a little more room.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincefury View Post
Hey guys,

I am looking into buying a Boxster S, a car I've wanted for many years, and want to start test driving a few in my area. My only concern is that I am a big tall fella, and I was worried that I may not fit comfortably. I have a daily commute of about 30 miles each day. Are there other big guys out there using the Boxster on daily basis? Does your head hit the top when its down? I read somewhere that the 987 was a bit more roomy, is that true?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks.
Vincefury, in Hawaii you can always drive with the top down
Old 11-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
Best way to check is to drive one
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #6

Garage
Vince - I'm 6'1 187 lbs and I would have to say JUST fit in the car... the issue is the legs/knees that don't have enough room. You really need to angle our your knees / legs in order to fit... I am not sure how on earth you will fit in there and drive comfortable at your size. You really should just try and crawl into one and see if you can manage but I'll be shocked if you could! Good luck!
Old 11-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #7

I am 6'1 and weigh 280 and I fit fine. I will say the seat is a little to narrow but nothing terrible. I need to get in head first but very comfy after I am in.
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #8
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Doesn't affect a smaller guy like me, but my wife's cousin is about 6'4" and probably around 200lbs. The guy is all legs. He can barely, just barely, fit in and drive my 986.2 Box - but the seat has to be max low and all the way back with the wheel extended. As indicated, the problem is the angle/height of his knees. Now, he fits just fine in his 987.1 Cayman, so I think you might be better served in a 987/981.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #9

I'm 6ft 4" and seeing as though mine is rhd, clutch was a pain and and left hand on the steering wheel was an issue but I've fitted the gt3 centre console delete and it's a different car to sit in now, it's awesome.
Dualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #10

Thanks for the feeddback guys. I will go test a few out this weekend. I gotta cut down on the Big Macs so I can fit better
vincefury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #11

Because of my mutant physique I have become a reluctant expert in this subject. And I am the smallest in a family who all have the same issue.
Vince,
Forget the "I am x feet and y pounds " stuff. The ratio of torso to leg length varies and may invalidate some of these assertions for you.
Don't just sit in one at a dealership. Drive it ,drive it a lot !
Here are 3 simple examples that bedevil tall people
1. If you pull up to an overhead traffic signal - can you see the red light without ducking down to look under the header at the top of the windshield ? I can see the green but not the red .
2. At a T junction , when you look right, how much of a blind spot does the rear-view mirror create if you lean forward ?
3. With the top in the UP position - can you easily get in and out ?
There is a helpful website - TallLife that gives some good ideas.
https://tall.life/measuring-cars-for-tall-people-vision-line-height/
https://tall.life/raising-rear-view-mirror-for-tall-people/

Last edited by Gelbster; 11-04-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #12

Garage
I'm 6'1", 210 pounds, with a 31" inseam, so my height is from the waist up. I mostly fit. I drive an '03 Boxster S and I wish the seat back was a little wider in the shoulders - it wants to hug me a little too much so I can't put my back flat on the seat back. It can be a pain to duck into the car when the top is up, especially on those days when I'm feeling my age. Once I'm in I have a couple of inches of head room

Mine is a daily driver

Carlos
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #13

You are definitely a big guy for the Boxster, but it depends a lot on your proportions and ability to tolerate cramped conditions (age is a factor!)
But you will really want the console delete kit. It's designed for Boxster owners that needed to have additional room for racing. I love it and think the look is unique and kinda retro.
The black rectangle below the dash line is actually mounted on the console delete panel which is approx 6-8" forward of the console surface. Itg's not hanging from the dashboard. My car had this "amp" for lack of a better term that I moved from the original vertical console to the delete kit's panel. Check this link Interior Trim

Old 11-06-2016, 05:20 AM   #14
LEJ

I'm 6'1" 210 lbs. In my situation, the car is fairly comfortable for short trips. If I drive more than 60 miles or so, my but starts to hurt as well as my back. I like a seat that tips back and it 'ain't' going to happen in a Boxster. I've owned 6 Porsche's (1968 912, 1971 911T, 1975 911S, 2002 996, 1973 911S and my current car a 2001 Boxster S) All of the other cars were absolutely fine on a long trip. In addition, I like to stretch out my legs and that too won't happen in a Boxster. I will say this, of all the Porsche's I've owned, the Boxster provides way more "driving' fun than the other Porsche's I've owned. Namely the handling. It's fantastic !!!
LEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #15

I'm 6'4" and fit fine, my 6'5" brother can't even fit as a passenger. It all comes down to leg/torso ratios as said earlier.
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #16

Garage
I'm 6'4, 215 and love to drive my 986, but I do have the sport seat package, (which I believe is stock on the S). My longest drive so far is 2 hours but it was fine, a 30 mile commute should be easy as long as it isn't stop and go in heavy traffic, might cause some early clutch failures...

mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote