Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2016, 05:50 AM   #1

Garage
Lightbulb Tire Wear Issue - Help Needed

Hey guys, I have an issue with my Elantra car (I know its not Porsche but you guys are smarter than anyone from the Elantra forum). I took my summer tires off last night and noticed my Front Right tire to be extremely worn on the inside AND outside but yet all other tires on my car still look brand new. I know we have a lot of experts out there who will totally nail this issue for me and provide a resolution !!

Thanks
Dr.Cactus

Old 10-26-2016, 06:22 AM   #2

I would suggest caused by low tire pressures.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 10-26-2016 at 07:19 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:22 AM   #3

Did you check air pressure?

Your tire is most likely underinflated where the center in not in contact with the highway.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #4

Looks like the info your been given is good. This is from the Bridgestone site.

Making the pic larger made it worse so here is the link

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/tire-tread-wear-causes

Last edited by fanguy; 10-26-2016 at 10:00 AM.
fanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #5

Manufactures oftentimes recommend a low tire pressures to make the vehicle have a smoother ride, usually at the expense of tire life. My Miata calls for 26 psi, at that pressure It has a better ride but handling and stability and tire life suffer. I have friends who autocross that run 40 psi.

Manufacture recommendation for my Boxster is 30 psi front and 37 psi rear. I’ve been running 31 in the front but I think it too low, I’m still trying to decide the perfect pressure.
MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:11 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
Hey guys, I have an issue with my Elantra car (I know its not Porsche but you guys are smarter than anyone from the Elantra forum). I took my summer tires off last night and noticed my Front Right tire to be extremely worn on the inside AND outside but yet all other tires on my car still look brand new. I know we have a lot of experts out there who will totally nail this issue for me and provide a resolution !!

Thanks
Dr.Cactus
I assume a Elantra is front wheel drive where the right front tire puts down the power so it is prone to have the most wear. Wearing the outer edges indicates underinflation &/or alignment problems also.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:18 PM   #7

Inside and outside of tire worn, but center isn't - classic under inflation.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #8

Garage
Hey guys, I checked the inflation on that tire compared to the others and weirdly they are all within 0.5 of each other.... this is crazy but is it possible I might have something broken on that side which would cause additional weight on that front right tire or something that I can not visually see ? I really not sure .... horrible day all around - Speeding ticket and a parking ticket today! Should have stayed in bed... lol