Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #1

Inside Door Handle slack, loose, adjustment?

The inside door handle of my Boxster is slack and drops a little. It can be moved about 1/4" before the tension zone where pulling on it opened the door lock. Because of the drop, the car thinks I am pulling open the handle so sometimes I have to push in the handle to remove the key, I have to push in the handle to close the doors, and the door doesn't close with the remote (since the door lock is dropping).

Is there a way to adjust the door lock so that the slack is taken up?

Old 10-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #2

This has happened to several of us...best part it is usually easy to fix. There is a spring that holds back pressure on the handle, usually the hook on the end of the spring breaks off and ....POP no tension. I simply took a set of needle nose pliers and bent a new look and hooked it on....that was over a year ago and all is still well...1/3 banana job......easy peasy
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:34 AM   #3

Indeed, broken return spring. The spring wears a groove into the pivoting lever, so rather than pivoting freely, the groove grabs and twists the spring. Every time you open/close, it fatigues the spring material until it snaps. Fix is to install a new spring and file the groove back to flat/smooth pivoting surface.

This thread should explain it...
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/59577-something-inside-door-snapped-when-i-opening-door-inside-today.html

This spring is not an expensive part to buy new from the Porsche dealer. Good luck!
Old 11-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I was able to fix the door handle today. It was a pretty simple fix.

A follow up question, the glue that holds the foam in place is not holding it. Where can I get replacement glue? I guess someone with the previous owner already removed it and never reinstalled it properly.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #5

Are you talking about the plastic waterproof membrane that covers the inner workings of the door?
If there are no rips or tears in the plastic you can use a thin bead of silicon around the perimeter of the membrane to seal it.