Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #1

Boxster Sounds Like It's on a Ventilator

I'm relatively new to Boxsters. A few months ago I bought a 2000 Boxster S. It's been a great car, I've done a couple of DE events and love how the car handles. Recently the car has been making a really loud whine for about 1 second following starting, clearly something with the starter motor. Also, after my last DE event, the check engine light came on. I checked the code, and as I suspected it indicated that the Mass Air Sensor was bad.

Figuring that I'd be handy and try and fix it myself, I bought the Bentley guide and replacing the MAS and starter seemed simple enough. Bought the parts, followed the guide and everything seemed to go very smoothly. Removed the throttle body, unplugged the e-accelerator, and vacuum tube, no problem. Grabbed the key and triumphantly went to start it up. Turned the key . . . engine cranks . . . no whine . . . no CEL . . . cool problem solved. Or so I thought. The car starts fine and does not seem to have a major problem, but when it's idling about every 3 seconds or so, the idle slows down tremendously and then there is a sucking sound and the engine goes back to a more normal idle for about 3 more seconds. I turned off the engine, checked the hoses and connections. Everything seems to be ok. Try it again, same thing, but it seems more prounounced.

I probably did a bad thing by doing multiple projects at once. One thought that I had was that the MAS that the dealer gave me was part #986.606.125.01 and when I took the one out of the car it was part #986.606.124.00. The dealer ran the VIN # when I asked for the part, and he said that the one he gave me was the correct one for the car with e-accelerator. Certainly, if the MAS could cause this symptom, this is the easiest route. One other fact -- The car is de-snorkeled.

The other thing that I'm thinking is that I may not have put everything back together correctly and should go back and take the throttle body off again and triple check all the hoses and connections. Clearly much more of a hassle.

Does anybody have any experience or thoughts? It typically wouldn't be a rush, but I'm supposed to leave for a DE event at Tremblant on Sunday. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

F348TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #2

Hi,

My initial thought is that the Car hasn't gone through a whole Drive Cycle and so the DME is still learning. I assume you disconnected the Battery before you did the work, you should have. If you're certain you followed the procedure thoroughly and in sequence, I'd say get it out for a drive and see if that doesn't clear it up. If still no-joy, disconnect the Battery for 15 min., reconnect it and repeat the process of establishing a Drive Cycle for the DME (make sure you have your Radio Code if applicable). Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 06-09-2006 at 04:15 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:31 PM   #3

Thanks Jim. This is probably just a lazy question, but how important is it to button up all of the engine access points before taking it for a ride.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:47 PM   #4

A nice drive seems to have resolved the issue. Thanks very much Jim. I appreciate the advice.