Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #1

i know this is a boxster forum - it's still a porsche question

regulars know the story, newbies can search out the history here...

at any rate, 1995 993 may be in my garage by week's end - however, purchase is partly contingent upon my two kids be able to enjoy it occassionally. unfortunately, my graco booster seats used in boxster are too wide for the 993 rear seats. haven't found much useful info on line re: seats to fit back there. i know it's possible (probably much more common daily driver type in europe than usa) - any former or current 993 types out there who've put their kids in the back (3yrs and 6 yrs).

as we all know, porsche d/c'd the old car seats and according to hoehn parts dept - 5 dealers in the u.s. have booster seats for the 993 (but the 993 tech pix shows the kids in the front seat, not the back). this 993 would make a great replacement for my 987 (yeah, it will still be a painful transition, though) but not too practical if the kids can never ride in it (yeah, i'm a fun for the whole fam kind of guy)

Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:01 AM   #2

I missed the part about the question.

Are you asking if a child seat fits in the back of a 993 or if you should buy the 993?
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:58 AM   #3

questions are:

1. anyone on the forum have experience with a 993 and young children in the rear seats? (my kids are 3 and 6 yrs and require booster seats) - i currently use a graco booster in the 987, but its base is too wide to fit the 993.

2. anyone know what brand, style, or model number of booster seat fits the rear seats of a 993?

3. As porsche has d/c'd the older child seats, only 5 dealerships in the usa apparently have the booster seat for the 993, but the 993 techquipment guide shows a pix of the child in the front seat, not the rear. anyone know if that specific porsche seat actually fit the rear seats or only the front.

among other things, as i weigh the decision to buy this car, the decision is highly dependent upon whether or not the whole family can enjoy the car.

thanks for any help

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 06-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #4
bmussatti

I don't know MS.....

1) If the booster seats won't fit, how the heck are the kids going to fit!

2) I don't know the state laws in CA...but in Illinois a 3 year-old is too young for just a booster seat.

I am also kind of shocked that you are going to buy an 11 year old Porsche and give up a 1 year old Boxster. I sure hope you have a lot of saved-up maintenance budget money.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:36 AM   #5

Hey Mach....i concur with bmussatti

Out of the frying pan into the fire?

Has Hoehn responded to your concerns?

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...P4724Large.jpg
Rondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:06 AM   #6

bmussati - read the questions - i'm trying to track down a booster seat that fits (or whether or not one does fit) - obviously, if nothing fits, we don't get the car.
most guidelines for placing children in seats are weight dependent, more so than age after the child is one year of age. in other words, all children under the age of one must be rear facing no matter weight (some parents think that once their kids are over 20 lbs they can go forward facing in the car seat - here in socal we have tons of lil porkers who come through our peds clinics who are well over 20 lbs before their first birthday.) so, law is quite clear, forward facing only after both 1 yr and >20lbs (a child's neck musculature, head control, etc) are not stable enough to be forward facing in the event of a front end collision unless both criteria are met.

beyond that, car seat issues become more weight dependent, than age - in much the same way, i dose a medicine to a child based on their weight and not their age.

re: the 993 - certainly a risk buying an older car - 993's are touted as incredibly reliable. this car got great reviews on my PPI. in comparison to my 987 which has been at the dealer more times than all my previous cars combined, anything at this point seems better. the '05 330ci perform pkg has many advantages, of course. however, a part of me is trying to keep a porsche in the garage and stay within a certain price range. if i don't get another porsche now, believe me, there will be many in the not so distant future.

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 06-08-2006, 09:15 AM   #7

rondog - picked up car from hoehn yesterday - they tell me what i'm feeling is normal! they also gave me some bs that the three tires that were defective all at the same time with less than 4000 miles must have just been random bad luck - that i just got a bad batch of tires. they denied it had anything to do with the car, the alignment, torque settings on the lug nuts, etc.

during the 80 mile drive home, i tried hard to accept this vibration as normal - but when my face was vibrating on a nice smooth stretch of the I-15 i came to these conclusions:

1. if its normal, then somehow i not only didn't notice it for the first 4000 miles, but i guess i just don't like the feel and handling of a boxster

or

2. it is not normal and i'm tuning into something that maybe as it grows will both cause more problems and also be noticed on a larger scale.

to hoehn's credit, other than the bs about the bad batch of tires, they seemed to take the concern seriously - but i honestly don't know how this shimmy can be construed as normal or more importantly, acceptable for this kind of a performance car.

i hate to part with it - its a beautiful looking car, the short shifter is awesome (seriously rondog - do it!) and the whole, first porsche thing, but i just can't stand driving it! it sucks, absolutely sucks!

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered