Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #1

Garage
Removing wheels repeatedly for maintenance

Hi everyone, I had a question regarding removing the wheels off of my 2003 boxster base. Every other weekend I've found some new part or project that I can install or complete since I'm not on call but was wondering if there is any detrimental effect to either the lug bolts or carrier from constantly removing and subsequently re-torquing the wheels.

Is there a point where I should replace all of my lug bolts or other maintenance to prevent failure? I drive my car pretty hard to and from work (at least 2 revs up to redline a trip when warm hahah!) so just wanted to see what the consensus was on this topic. Thanks!

ttmedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:10 AM   #2

Not at all - autocrossers who drive their cars to events and race on special wheels commonly change wheels two times every weekend. But if you remove and reinstall the wheels frequently, you will need to keep your lug bolt threads in good condition, to prevent them from galling or seizing. If you haven't already, give them a good cleaning (using a solvent like brake parts cleaner) and a light, even coating (on the threads) with anti-seize compound. Do not put anti-seize on the part of the lug bolt that contacts the wheel. On Porsche lug bolts with the captive washer, though, I like to clean behind and put a light amount of anti-seize behind the captive washer. Also, always use a torque wrench to torque to the correct specs and use a "cross-cross" torquing pattern. Once anti-seize is applied, you should be able to remove and reinstall the wheels many times before you need to reclean and reapply it. (A light, even film is actually perfect.) If you're not cleaning the lug bolts, keep dirt away from the threads. (Set them down sticking straight up, or lay them down on something clean.) If dirt gets in the threads, clean them! Always thread the bolts in by hand (no air tools) and make sure nothing feels "gritty" - should feel smooth. G'luck!
Old 10-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #3

Yeah I have mine on and off all the time too. I have actually converted to wheel studs, although using the lug bolts isn't too bad when using the wheel hanger tool. I bought an extra one and so I used two wheel guides when mounting or dismounting and it made it a lot easier. I also used the anti-seize on the threads.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #4

As Steve says, hopefully you have the guide pin. Makes installing much easier.

Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Wheel Mounting Guide Bolt
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
... using the lug bolts isn't too bad when using the wheel hanger tool. I bought an extra one and so I used two wheel guides when mounting or dismounting and it made it a lot easier. I also used the anti-seize on the threads.
+1 on the extra wheel guide bolt.
Makes the off/on exercise really easy.
Still on the fence regarding wheel studs, although they make it look easier still.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #6

It is a little easier with the studs, maybe saves 2 minutes per wheel of screwing in the wheel guides in and out. If you have multiple sets of wheels, and some need spacers and some don't, or you want to experiment with some spacers, then you can save the cost of extended length bolts and put that toward the studs. I was going to run some cayman wheels with spacers and so i did studs instead of a 2nd set of lug bolts. Then ended up not running the cayman wheels,after all because the tires that came with them were too big

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote