Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #1

SAI readiness question

Does the readiness for SAI happen only after cold starts? Had vacuum line issues coming up with cels and once fixed all codes are going ready except for SAI. Can I just start the car on cold starts ever so many times and wait for it to go ready without actually driving the car. Or does the SAI go ready in conjunction with driving even after the SAI goes off at first starts? So close. Any thoughts?

I understand this can be a long process but need to know if I need to drive it.

Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #2

A lot depends upon the year of the car, but resetting the I/M Readiness flags for the secondary air injection can take a fair number of miles and start from cold cycles, so driving it is required. Don't be surprised if you have to go over 200 miles before it resets.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:33 AM   #3

It took mine longer than 200 miles. I don't drive it everyday, but I monitored it for several consecutive drives and it never set the SAI ready code. I finally gave up. A month later or so, I checked it and it had finally set to ready.

If the engine light has not come back on, the readiness will likely eventually set when all the conditions for the test are met. Two items that come to mind (in addition to the other more obvious factors) for the test are:
1. temperature conditions (car and ambient) have to be right for it to be a valid test.
2. fuel level has to be correct to run the test because it involves vacuum related tests.
jedblanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I had to reset my codes to clear a CEL. It took about 1 hour of driving on the highway at low revs in 4th gear to get it to reactivate.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote