Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2006, 06:21 AM   #1

Break in

Car was parked in a covered ramp and when I returned to it, I noticed the rear window (plastic) had a gaping hole in it. I had noticed someone walking away from right next to the car when I and my buddy opened the ramp door, so i followed him on foot, and my buddy followed by car. We caught up to him a couple blocks down and asked what he was doing in the ramp. He said he was taking a leak, but you could see he was totally nervous. We asked to see his ID and the dumbass showed it to us. We took down the info and let him go on his way. (i figured it was a bum ID but what could i do). Went back to the ramp, called police. Ramp security had a book of photos of known "car poppers" and we picked the guys photo out. Turns out his is well known and actually showed us his real ID. He told us where he works too. Cops came and took a report. They were amazed we caught him in the act but it didnt sound like they were going to go pick him up. We will see what happens. As luck would have it, we were coming from a fundraiser for the District Attorney, so if the cops to bring charges, I should be able to get the DA's office to follow up.

Pictures of damage attached. (ill try anyway). Big hole on one side of the plastic window, small punture marks on the other side and a big scratch on the canvas.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/codie11/P6050022.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/codie11/P6050023.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/codie11/P6050025.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e127/codie11/P6050026.jpg

Called Porsche dealership - quoted 4 - 5k to put on new top. Thats crazy isnt it? INsurance will cover it ( i assume) but if someone else can do it cheaper and put a new glass window top on it do you think the insurance company will pay for it? Dealership said they will not install the aftermarket top, only the OEM with plastic window. ANyone have thoughts on best way to handle this with insurance company? Will my rates go up for an act of vandalism as oppsed to a claim for an accident?

Hake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:52 AM   #2

That SUCKS! Good police work on you and your buddy's part, though, tracking him down.

Did he take anything? Looks like he just cut the window - can't crawl through from there.

You can get the dealer to put in an OEM glass window, as it will fit, and insurance is paying for it, so why do you worry about how much they pay?

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIQTodd
That SUCKS! Good police work on you and your buddy's part, though, tracking him down.

Did he take anything? Looks like he just cut the window - can't crawl through from there.

You can get the dealer to put in an OEM glass window, as it will fit, and insurance is paying for it, so why do you worry about how much they pay?
I believe you are incorrect about the glass window in a canvas top.

You COULD choose now to buy a new top with glass window in it.

I think one of our sponsors sells these.

Good luck either way.

PS-Yes the insurance company is paying and we are ALL paying for this kind of criminal activity.

My bet is that nothing happens to this guy.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:02 AM   #4

Todd, a 2001 can't take a factory glass window top. He could go aftermarket for far less though, and I bet the insurance company would be pleased as they could be to let him "upgrade" to an aftermarket glass top to save them thousands.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:11 AM   #5

Well then, go for the GAHH glass top and tell the insurance company that if they just have the dealer install the one with the vinyl window again (at twice the cost), they might have the opportunity to replace it yet again in the near future since you can cut vinyl, but not glass.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:17 AM   #6

i agree - nice police work, but thank god you didn't get knifed or shot! ya know, its like that a-hole who cuts you off, you're gonna catch up to him, pull over and kick his ass, but when you get out the car on the side of the road, oh, oopps he and his posse have more guns than you - them 1 or more guns, you none
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:31 AM   #7

He didnt take anything. We caught him in the middle of doing it so he didnt have the chance. I had a briefcase in the front seat which is probably what he was after. The most valuable item he could have gotten was the breifcase (old and worthless) and a check for 17$. I dont know how he expected to get the case though. Wouldnt the infared alarm go off?

When we were talking to him he had his hand down his pants, i dont think he had a weapon, probably just a nervous habit, but just in case, we didnt push him too hard. Not worth it.

I would like to get the GAHH top if the insurance company will go for it. B/c the canvas was scratched and not fully cut i am afraid insurance will say they will only cover the window replacement. I thought only the window could be done, but the dealer told me today they have to replace the whole top and cant just do the window.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #8

Does the GAHH top come with a headliner?

kid was after your stereo. Probably a crack head. Too bad the police didn't come sooner.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:47 AM   #9

Im trying not to think about him taking the stereo. What a nightmare that would be.

You pose a good question. Does the top come with a headliner? Anyone. Im going through the posts about the glass tops to find out as much as i can. Anyone's recent opinions on the glass top would be appreciated.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:00 AM   #10

A headliner is available as an option for 2001 Boxster
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:10 AM   #11
fab

hake-
Sorry to hear...it happen to me too not to long ago. Not sure about your ins. co. but my ins. co. gave me a check minus my deductible without any penalties. I choose to replace the plastic as opposed to a new GAHH top. My reasoning is I plan on trading in the car for a new model. If I was going to keep the car then I would have purchased a GAHH top.
My ins. co was VERY generous. So generous I was able to buy my primary car new sneakers... ..dunca! That was a nice treat...we pay way....to much for insurance.

painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote