Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 06:30 AM   #1

3D printing a Porsche logo

So I've taken off the badge on the back of the Boxster as I needed to re-spray the badge. After machining the paint underneath, I realised it looked quite clean, and didn't want to put the old silver one back on, even if it was resprayed.

I did think about keeping it plain for a while, but then I thought about putting the 981 badge on, like a few people have done. Only thing is that I'm not willing to pay almost £100 for 'P O R S C H E' and a new 'Boxster S' badge.

I've gone about 3D printing them. Someone on here had it done and it looked great, so I thought why not! The printer has finished them already and I'm going to pick them up after work later. He sent these photos:

And it cost me a grand total of £5. THAT'S IT. The finish will be a little rough, but I plan on sanding them back, spraying with chrome spray, fixing 3M tape to the backs of them and then installing them. The price of it will be a fraction of the cost of a new one.

As soon as I go and see these later, I'll post a photo up for you guys. If they're good, I'll whip up the new Boxster S badge from the 981 in 3D myself (already got an illustration of it in the correct measurements), and will get it printed too.

Should look amazing

I did a little photoshop mock up of the new badges, and also of a tinted top section of the rear lights. They can be tinted with tint spray and, if I don't like it, it's completely removable.

What do you think of this?

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
Ben-Auto-Design

It looks quite good!

Do you let it as it is fresh out the printer or do you sand and paint it?
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #3

I'll sand it back with 1000 or 1500 grit first, get a smooth finish, primer, chrome spray, then lacquer it. Should look completely fine after that

But it totally depends on what they're like - that photo is the only one I have. I'm picking them up in a couple of hours so they could be totally ****************, or quite nice!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 09-02-2016, 07:46 AM   #4

Garage
+1 for de-badged. Keeps them guessing if you got a base or S model

tinted top section of tail lights looks much better by the way. How would you go about spraying it with the tint spray? Spray the inside of the taillight assembly by having to remove the lens I'm guessing
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:01 AM   #5

Nope, spraying the outside believe it or not! There's a few videos on people doing it. Spray the outside to tint, and I'd probably polish it personally so that it's a good finish if it isn't already. If you don't want it, use brake cleaner on it and the tint comes straight off. Obviously the lamps need to be off the car.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #6

very cool, I'm thinking about buying a 3d printer to play with it, I already have a huge cnc machine and needs a sister, lol
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:30 PM   #7

Do you have the .stl file available for the emblem? Please PM me. I'd really like to print a few sets.

quick986 is offline   Reply With Quote