Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2006, 11:34 AM   #1

Talking Question from a potential 986 owner

Hello everyone!

Great resource you guys have set up here, and I was hoping I could tax some of your brains for some information

I used to have a 91 MR2, it was a midengined, rear wheel drive sportscar that met its end on a rainy day by spinning out and hitting a tree

Fortunately myself and my passenger were okay, but since the accident happened when I was moving down to South Florida to start medical school, I didn't have much time to go shopping. I ended up hurriedly buying a Maxima, but have been looking to get back into a midengine car ever since!

After a bunch of research, I think I've settled on getting a Boxster (S hopefully), as it fits my price range and provides the things I was looking for in a car.

So here are my questions:

1. The MR2 was notorious for its oversteering... how's the boxster when pushed? What about the S?

2. Is it worth it to get the 03 over the 02 Boxsters? I know it has a glass rear window, and some minor body mods, anything else?

3. How good is the security system on the Boxster?

4. Has anyone had the factory navigation installed after they bought the car? How much does it run?

5. Any general tips for insurance, extended warranty, etc..?

Thank you

Old 06-05-2006, 12:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iatros
Hello everyone!

Great resource you guys have set up here, and I was hoping I could tax some of your brains for some information

I used to have a 91 MR2, it was a midengined, rear wheel drive sportscar that met its end on a rainy day by spinning out and hitting a tree

Fortunately myself and my passenger were okay, but since the accident happened when I was moving down to South Florida to start medical school, I didn't have much time to go shopping. I ended up hurriedly buying a Maxima, but have been looking to get back into a midengine car ever since!

After a bunch of research, I think I've settled on getting a Boxster (S hopefully), as it fits my price range and provides the things I was looking for in a car.

So here are my questions:

1. The MR2 was notorious for its oversteering... how's the boxster when pushed? What about the S?

2. Is it worth it to get the 03 over the 02 Boxsters? I know it has a glass rear window, and some minor body mods, anything else?

3. How good is the security system on the Boxster?

4. Has anyone had the factory navigation installed after they bought the car? How much does it run?

Thank you
1. No

2. Yes

3. Good but lojak is a nice add.

4. I have not had one. The consensus is not great.

5. Warranty is recommended if you are risk adverse./

Good luck

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iatros

Thank you
I just got my insurance bill today. It's actually cheaper to insure than my Audi A6. That was pretty surprising.
2kwiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #4

1. It's not extremely heavy, but I'd recommend driving it instead.

2. Yes.

3. It has a blinky light for those afraid of blinky lights. It also has several engineered features like RMS and the Intermediate Shaft to scare off would be thieves. Heck, the Boxster security sytem is so good, that sometimes even the owner can't get in or get it started!

4. I'm a guy, I don't need directions.

5. I'd definately insure it. CPO if possible.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:29 PM   #5

DenverPete..

1. It's not extremely heavy, but I'd recommend driving it instead.

rofl... someone's been spending too much time with Boxster-fumes in the garage

Thanks for the input so far fellas. Keep it up please
Old 06-05-2006, 03:57 PM   #6

1. I don't know about the base Boxster, but the S performs beautifully when pushed hard.
2. Yes a newer year is always better. But by the same argument, the 04 is better than the 03, the 05 is better than the 04, etc., ad infinitim. What you need to look at is the condition the car is in. A great quality 02 with 33k miles is better than a great quality 03 with 50k miles.
3. The Boxster security system is two-fold: First is the traditional alarm-system that monitors the doors, trunks, oddments tray, windows, and top. It also has infra-red motion sensors that monitor the cabin. Second, it has an immobilizer system that disables the engine unless the key with the properly coded microchip is used to start the car. In addition, the keyless entry system uses a rolling-code transponder which makes it difficult to snatch the code from the signal and unlock the doors. From what I've seen of factory alarms, it is quite good.
4. Nope, and alot.
5. Insure it like any other nice car. And get an extended warranty before the factory one expires. Make sure it is an "exclusionary warranty" meaning it covers everthing on the car, except "consumibles" like brake pads and tires. WarrantyDirect.com's SecureCar+ w/ Emissions is such a warranty.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #7

Thanks for all of your responses.. an additional question on top of what I've already asked :

Do these cars HAVE to be porsche certified to get extended warranty or just have to be within-warranty to extend it?