Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #1

Garage
986 Bumper, Headlights, Fenders???

I searched on this subject and did not find much related to the options for bumpers, headlights and fenders.

My car needs a new bumper. I have researched most of the original Porsche and aftermarket options. I also need new headlights; mine are amber and one of them is broken.

I know I could go with a 996 bumper and probably find a used driver side headlight that I could de-amber on the cheap. The bumper would not be exactly cheap, but this is probably my least cost option.

Or, I could get a 996 bumper and some used clear headlights. With paint, now I would be around $1000. But as much as I love my car, I really don't like the look of the fried egg headlights. Plus, both my fenders needs a little paint work to be perfect.

So what are my options to replace it all?

I have seen fiberglass fenders for about $350 a pair. There are various style fiberglass bumpers for $400 to $600. I don't know what headlight options there are.

I appreciate any suggestions. I bought a Z-top that will be installed in the spring. I am thinking fenders, bumber, headlights, rocker panels and the Z-top.
Thanks

ksjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:28 AM   #2

Garage
Talk to Woody (itsnotanova) look for him in the parts for sale he parts out Boxsters.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:19 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Here's one with a Z-top, updated bumper (maybe just a lip), and covered headlights:
Post your best Boxster Pic

Lcrivers916 did a complete front end swap: Post your best Boxster Pic

I have a silver 996 front bumper that I may use eventually, but could part with for whatever the going rate is if you decide to go that way. Located in NE Oklahoma.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:36 AM   #4

This is what I'd like to do with a Z-top equipped car. All factory, and I think it would be amazing to do. It's probably a very doable project with pieces/parts from a Porsche salvage yard.

Official 986 to 996 Front-end Conversion Thread
Old 11-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Here's one with a Z-top, updated bumper (maybe just a lip), and covered headlights:
Post your best Boxster Pic

Lcrivers916 did a complete front end swap: Post your best Boxster Pic

I have a silver 996 front bumper that I may use eventually, but could part with for whatever the going rate is if you decide to go that way. Located in NE Oklahoma.
Thanks for the suggestions! I really like the look of Turbodad's car. I guess I have not seen where you can paint over most of the stock headlight.

So maybe a stock 996 bumper with the headlights painted and some small turn indicators in the corner of the bumper air vent would be an option for getting most of the look I want.

Anyone have a pair of standard/amber headlights they want to sell cheap?
Old 11-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #6

Garage
BTW, is there a thread that details a good way of painting the headlight lens?
Old 11-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjohn View Post
...and some small turn indicators in the corner of the bumper air vent would be an option for getting most of the look I want.
I never looked into it 'till now, but these look like a nice option:
2 Pcs 12V 30LED Autos Front White DRL Fog Lamps Amber Turn Signal Lights Strips | eBay

LED for both DRL and Turn.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I never looked into it 'till now, but these look like a nice option:
2 Pcs 12V 30LED Autos Front White DRL Fog Lamps Amber Turn Signal Lights Strips | eBay

LED for both DRL and Turn.

Yes, something like that would work well. I like that the turn signal indicator looks clear until activated to blink orange.

And small enough to mount in the standard air intake grills without causing a problem.