Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 05:22 AM   #1

Garage
CEL On

'02 Boxster 2.7 just under 65K miles. CEL came on over the weekend. Autozone did a diagnostic with codes P0410 and P1411 AIR Check Valve. Anybody care to share their experience? Any horror stories or is this a standard occurence? I'm not a mechanic.

Last edited by samg1965; 08-09-2016 at 05:29 AM.
samg1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
Project Addicted

P0410 Secondary Air Injection System, Bank 1 – Below Limit
P1411 Secondary Air Injection System, Bank 2 – Below Limit
Possible cause:
- Secondary air injection pump is not triggered
- Secondary air injection pump does not function
- Air supply lines restricted
- Electric change-over valve does not function
- Air change-over valve does not function
- Vacuum system leaking
So the first question is does the air pump run for a couple of minutes at cold startup?

There's a lot going in that system. I have no personal experience but you can check the lines for breaks or cracks, even if you're all thumbs. Further checks will require some good skills.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #3

Garage
Thank you Jon.... Lot of information there. What would be an indication that the air pump is operating upon a cold start?
Old 08-09-2016, 04:13 PM   #4
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samg1965 View Post
Thank you Jon.... Lot of information there. What would be an indication that the air pump is operating upon a cold start?
Well... Every morning when you start the engine, you should hear a faint whine coming from the engine bay. The sound will disappear after few minutes.
This is basically the SAI pump (part number 1 in the diagram) kicking in and out.
The pump function is to push air when the engine is cold and the mixture is rich, to reduce emissions.
If you want to be sure, you can put the top in service mode and remove the engine bay cover. The pump is in plane sight, and you should not have a problem to notice if it is working or not.
Again. Only works on cold start.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #5

Garage
Yes the air pump comes on upon startup.... This morning I took it for a ride and let the RPM's rev up to 6K before shifting. The CEL turned off and has not come back on after a few re-starts. I'm not jumping to conclusions that the problem is resolved, but I'm hoping I might be lucky and have passed some garbage through the system in the process.