Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 05:47 AM   #1

Spring removal - a Hail Mary

Before I dive into replacing my rear springs on 2000 S, is there any way to do this that doesn't involve removing calipers, braces, ball joints and other. I thought someone had mentioned a guy with a cayman was somehow able to do it without all the additional work. Maybe I dreamt it.
My mechanic mentioned for the front to just leave the tires on and jack the front end up, take off fastening nut, loosen three bolts on strut mount and I should be able to get springs out and back on. Now I may have misinterpreted but does it make sense that I only loosen the three strut mount nuts. He said he would charge me an hour to do. He's porsche factory trained, 20 year dealership mechanic/head mechanic and now an indie.

Also, I will borrow a spring compressor from auto zone. Is it the McPherson or non McPherson I need. I borrowed both a while back and I can't not remember which one worked. Thanks in advance.
David

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:17 AM   #2

That was me and the article is on CaymanRegister.org, membership required to read. I wonder if a regular spring compressor would be as effective and keep you from having to detach the lca and toe rod and stuff.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:51 AM   #3

it didn't work for me

Unfortunately, neither of the methods mentioned by your mechanic worked for me, as the front strut is way too long to come out without disconnecting the control arm, my car has coil overs and even with the spring perch at the lowest position I was not able to remove it in one piece.

The same for the spring compressor as there is not room for it inside the spring…

The only way (IMHO..) that you may be able to remove the strut without removing the ball joints is by removing the control arm where attaches into the subframe (opposite side to the ball joint).

Just be sure that your jack stands are perfectly secured before getting under your car, because if is not when you find out could be too late…

Good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:14 AM   #4

I have coilovers too and in the front I have to remove the tie rod from the carrier. I don't have to remove the lca ball joint because I have monoballs and they pivot down easily, where the rubber could not. I've had to do it because I set the top plates on the ksports wrong twice, first with way too much neg camber and then too little. Uggg

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote