Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaDan View Post
Although not for everyday cleaning, I have to say that cerium oxide powder mixed with water is amazing at removing scratches, haze, etc, etc. I learned this after buying my 986 and having the previous owner scrape the windshield with blades that were about 12 years old and in most places, down to the frame. The windshield was in pretty poor shape. The powder can be found on Amazon. I'll tell you now, it is a huge mess to use...small section, clean, repeat...but, it is well worth the $12.50 to buy.

Follow the instructions---mix to a buttermilk type consistency and use a pad on a drill or polisher...Strongly suggest you cover the top and surrounding body work as the slurry will be slung all over the place when you use it.
How did I miss that, was just scrolling back up and caught it.

Thanks for the info, possibly what I've been looking for a while now. That starts to make sense and happy to hear at least one who had good results.

Thx again

Last edited by Nine8Six; 07-21-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:24 PM   #22

I've been using this method:

I'm not sure if I'm ready to use the steel wool method.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #23

Deleted all the unwelcome comments made toward others' product. Those products I haven't even tried or tested myself. Not sure what happened, I normally never do this unfair, uncivilized blasting thing.

Getting grumpy, scary stuff loll
Old 07-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I've been using this method:

I'm not sure if I'm ready to use the steel wool method.
I'm going to try Dave's and ArizonaDan's magic stuff from Amazon. I'll let you guys know how it went. I'll order the stuff in a few hours. Literally.

Big difference between glass clarity(smoothness) and cleanness(cleaners). Was sure the wool and advertised prod was meant at fixing smoothness. Magically lolll duh
Old 07-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #25

Omg I went to autozone to get some microfiber towels, washed my car, got home, started watching a movie then gave up on it and came here, realized I forgot to get the steel wool.

You don't need to dope slap me, I've taken care of it.
Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #26

Python

For you guys who know what this is, you can also use 0000 steel wool to polish and remove residue off a Python. Got this from an old timer (at the time 1976) when a brand new one cost nearly $350....now $3K +

I couldn't believe the steel wool wouldn't scratch a Royal Blue finish but it does not. I have used this method on a windshield before with good results and no damage.

PS I used to do some lapidary hobby work, steel wool is soft as cotton compared to any glass....very low MOH scale
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #27

Forty something years old, owned quite a few cars, and windows, and it is the first time in-my-life that I see of hear something like that. To a point that I got offended by the scam. Which obviously now we know its not.

Your Windex must be diluted there in the USA. The one we get here is so effective and stink ammonia from 20meter away I can't think how much cleaner my windows could be even if I'd start to use a steel wool on top of it.

To me, "super clean title or not", it really sounded like a rejuvenating solution to hazed and micro-scratched windshield. I mean the steel wool part lolll

Happy to be less ignorant. Also happy that I may potentially save myself of a $2000 (dealer) windshield replacement if the other stuff that Dave and ArozonaDan really works.

Before Pic: you guys think a super clean will fix that?

Old 07-22-2016, 03:15 AM   #28
Yeast Rancher

I think I'll stick to white vinegar and distilled water. Crystal clear with no water spots.

Beer is offline   Reply With Quote