Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #1

Thumbs up Airbag Light and Autel MD802

I had the airbag light come on in my '01 while teaching my nephew how to drive a stick (he had to move the driver's seat quite a ways forward). I figured it was probably caused by the seatbelt wiring being moved. I stopped by my local independent to pick up some oil change supplies and they happily read the codes and reset the light, no charge. To my surprise, the code was actually the passenger seatbelt buckle. A day or so later, the light came back on. I was thinking, it would be nice to be able to try cleaning the buckle and connections and reset the light myself before replacing the buckle.

I thought about purchasing the Durametric, as it has such great capabilities, but instead decided to try the Autel MD802. My reasoning was to be able to use it on multiple vehicles, and the ability to throw it in the frunk and not need the laptop. I purchased one on Amazon for $205.

I received the Autel, did the online updates and headed out to the car. Plugged it in, did the scan and found the same passenger seatbelt buckle code. Reset the light with no issues (It's actually been off for 3 days now and not come back on yet). I also played around with the Autel to see what it could do. It was able to read several modules including DME, Airbag, ABS, A/C, Alarm, Instrument Cluster and Tiptronic (if I had one). The DME data included tons of info including camshaft deviation and advance, maf values, etc. I was quite impressed with amount of information available.

I know I was nearing the Durametric price, but the Autel being self-contained and the ability to use it on multiple vehicles (including my diesel truck) is a bonus for me.

Last edited by Mr176; 07-14-2016 at 06:29 PM. Reason: added vehicle year
Mr176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:57 PM   #2

very nice option...would love to know if anyone else has any experience with this device.

Given the age and mileage of my car, I have thought about taking it to local indy just to read cam deviations.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #3

Neat Info.............
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #4

Mr176, are you able to read live data with your Autel. I bought the same but can NOT get any live data under DME, even with the latest software update. I could reset the airbag light on my 1997, which Durametric failed to do due to some software issue.

Last edited by Boxstard; 07-25-2016 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Typo
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #5

Yes, I was able to read the live data.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:32 PM   #6

Mr176 , are you happy that you got the Autel as against the Durametric now in retrospect ? From another post it sounds that Durametric have some major issues and you don't have any with Autel .I'd be interested in your comment as I want to get one or the other .
Old 07-25-2016, 02:06 AM   #7

I'm very happy with the Autel. It's only able to read and reset, not toggle and control settings like I believe the Durametric can do, so that's a minus. But the ability to use it on any type of vehicle as well as easily take it with me when I travel is a plus. I've only had my Boxster for a year, and the airbag light was the first issue I wasn't able to take care of without one or the other. So, for now I think I made the right choice for me. As soon as an issue arises that I would have needed the Durametric to handle, I may have a different opinion.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #8

Thanks for the info
Old 08-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #9

Thanks for the Info on this.
I went ahead and ordered one via Amazon (Note: make sure if you order one, verify that the full-filler is AUTEL, other suppliers have knock offs and or used ones sold as new, also mine came in up to date).
Does what I need and usable on other manufactures, cost effective (not limited to just Porsche and not VIN restricted).
Works on 97 986.
Clears the Airbag light! pulls codes and clears faults (alarm, ect). real time recording.
Also worked on:
2011 Ford, and 2012 Chevrolet

fj1200 is offline   Reply With Quote