Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 12:49 AM   #1

Amazing Paintwork

Hi Chaps
Well Im 3 weeks into the ownership of my Yellow 2000 S

So far all is well and I love it

One thing I have noticed is that the paint finish is absolutely amazing.

There is absolutely ZERO orange peel whatsoever. Iv been driving for 30 years and in that time had some nice stuff Alfa, BWW, Merc, Audi etc but never with a smoother paint finish than this.

Are all Porsches like like this? Im going to start looking

Love the race yellow too, only downside is the plastic panels have very slight paint fade but not that noticeable when clean, so it a good reason to wash it every few days lol.

Paint work smoother on the 986 than my 2012 plate passat next to it

Attached Images

Last edited by YellowS2000; 07-12-2016 at 03:41 AM.
YellowS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:41 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

I would be really upset if I had to display that huge front plate. Feel bad for you.

I had my plate mounting holes filled in so there is no requirement to have a front plate if the car has no means to mount it.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowS2000 View Post
Hi Chaps

There is absolutely ZERO orange peel whatsoever. Iv been driving for 30 years and in that time had some nice stuff Alfa, BWW, Merc, Audi etc but never with a smoother paint finish than this.

Love the race yellow too, only downside is the plastic panels have very slight paint fade but not that noticeable when clean, so it a good reason to wash it every few days lol.
Washing it every few days will start to remove the clear-coat after awhile. I had a neighbor back in 1994 who was a total tool, who had a bought a new Pontiac Firebird. He used to wash and chamois that thing EVERY weekend. By the end of of year two, he had successfully rubbed-off a good deal of the topcoat, to the point that he lost the UV protection (or ended up with a reactive basecoat) that gave him a mottled red car.

YMMV.
FauxDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I am with you on this. My 97 has the upgraded Arctic Silver Metallic L92U. I think it was +/- $800 option and the finish is still amazing. It is smooth as glass and has a noticeable depth to it. People don't believe me when I tell them that it is original.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #5

I've read somewhere on the internet (so it must be true) that the metal body and the plastic parts (bumpers) on these cars were painted at separate locations and assembled afterward, which means the paint is not always an exact match between the body and bumpers. I've seen a few of these cars where both bumpers did not match the body, including white cars, so there may be some truth to it.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #6

Definitely not orange peel free here, with my 2001 lapis blue boxster base with aero kit 1. (ESPECIALLY the fiberglass aerokit 1 specific rear deck is so badly orange peeled, I have had thoughts of either wet sanding it, or refinishing it.)

But even the best, steel body panels on my 2001 are not perfect in terms of orange peel. That said, it IS generally a top quality finish these cars seem to have came with (what cars are truly orange peel free, except for concours quality custom jobs? None that I'm aware of), although my worn out finish on my particular car (with >100k miles) is very badly swirled, and In need of some polishing work.

There is definitely orange peel though, like any other car. You saying yours is orange peel-free makes me wonder if:
1. either you just aren't looking closely enough (bright colors like speed yellow you've got would make it harder to discern the reflections), or
2. perhaps, a detailer has successfully wet-sanded your clear coat before you came in possession of the car to make it "concours quality" finish? (Before you get too excited if this is the case, this will thin the clear coat and potentially reduce the UV protection). There are paint thickness gauges that professional detailing shops will have and use, which can actually measure the thickness of the paint.

If yours has been wet sanded, it would probably show up as a thinner-than-usual paint thickness.

With its color and all, maybe you just need to get your car into an appropriate lighting situation such that you can see all the tiny scratches and imperfections? If say a bright LED flashlight, shone on your finish in otherwise complete darkness, would belie any surface scratches, orange peel, or other defects. If all you've owned are dark colored cars and this if your first lighter colored one, that could be the explanation.

Last edited by jakeru; 07-11-2016 at 09:29 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
I've read somewhere on the internet (so it must be true) that the metal body and the plastic parts (bumpers) on these cars were painted at separate locations and assembled afterward, which means the paint is not always an exact match between the body and bumpers. I've seen a few of these cars where both bumpers did not match the body, including white cars, so there may be some truth to it.
I recently acquired a 2003 yellow one and I notice there is a very subtle difference between the bumpers and the metalwork, they either weather a little different or as you say, they are painted different (locations?).
It;s subtle enough not to worry me.
I also have not noticed any orange peel either.

RichRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:05 AM   #8

guards red is smooth as glass
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:27 AM   #9

Do you have massive rear overriders on your rear bumper tho?

They looks horrible
Old 07-12-2016, 03:29 AM   #10

Iv had loads of cars and used to flip them from home and also not too bad with a spray gum myself so believe me when I say there is no orange peel and it has not been colour sanded.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:37 AM   #11

Hi Rick
Great looking car, Is it the blue roof like mine. This has too be defo the best colour combos out there for the boxster.

I noticed you have a colour coded centre panel. Looks good, mine could do with some attention as it has a few scratched here and there but I like the standard look so would probably end up doing it the same colour.

This consul is defo the achilles heel on the 986. I think they got the plastic form recycled video cassette boxes lol.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Iv had loads of cars and used to flip them from home and also not too bad with a spray gum myself so believe me when I say there is no orange peel and it has not been colour sanded.
Nice Speed Yellow you have there that was my first colour Boxster now have a Guards Red but must admit I still think Speed/Racing Yellow is the best colour,
Are you on "BoXa.net" over here ?
Guvs.
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #13

Quote:
You mentioned that you were 3 weeks into ownership of the car, so since you didn't take delivery of the car when new, I don't understand how you could be certain that the previous owner didn't colorsand the paintwork at some point during those 15 or so years prior to you taking delivery.

The photos posted here also dont show a presence (of lack of) orange peel. I can tell you my lapis blue 2001 definitely has orange peel - see attached, zoomed in picture of underground parking garage ceiling reflections in rear fender is evidence.

I'm glad that you're happy with your Porsche and its paintwork, though. I can't wait to give mine a polish. Already had all the dings removed.
Attached Images

Last edited by jakeru; 07-12-2016 at 06:18 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Hi Rick
Great looking car, Is it the blue roof like mine. This has too be defo the best colour combos out there for the boxster.

I noticed you have a colour coded centre panel. Looks good, mine could do with some attention as it has a few scratched here and there but I like the standard look so would probably end up doing it the same colour.

This consul is defo the achilles heel on the 986. I think they got the plastic form recycled video cassette boxes lol.
Thanks.
Yep, blue hood and I picked up a matching blue hardtop in great condition for £400. Not 100% sure it was necessary but I can't garage the car over winter so it should get some use.
I love the coloured centre console, in fact I love the whole thing.
I copied my brother in buying this but he has a metallic dark grey which is just too boring for me. I was going to get a yellow, blue or red or nothing at all.
RichRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi Chaps

Paint work smoother on the 986 than my 2012 plate passat next to it
Quit kidding yourself, you have massive paint issues. You are not looking hard enough
keeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #16

Funny, i've never given it any thought but I agree the paint seems free of orange peel. I can't get the finish as slippery as my last non p-car though using the same polish and wax regimen. Trade off I guess.
Jim Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:41 AM   #17

Nice paint work. I really like that yellow color on the car.
Sherrycanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRobby View Post
Thanks.
Yep, blue hood and I picked up a matching blue hardtop in great condition for £400. Not 100% sure it was necessary but I can't garage the car over winter so it should get some use.
I love the coloured centre console, in fact I love the whole thing.
I copied my brother in buying this but he has a metallic dark grey which is just too boring for me. I was going to get a yellow, blue or red or nothing at all.
Ye same here, It had to be yellow or guards red for me. Did yours come with the yellow see belts?
Old 07-14-2016, 01:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
You mentioned that you were 3 weeks into ownership of the car, so since you didn't take delivery of the car when new, I don't understand how you could be certain that the previous owner didn't colorsand the paintwork at some point during those 15 or so years prior to you taking delivery.

The photos posted here also dont show a presence (of lack of) orange peel. I can tell you my lapis blue 2001 definitely has orange peel - see attached, zoomed in picture of underground parking garage ceiling reflections in rear fender is evidence.

I'm glad that you're happy with your Porsche and its paintwork, though. I can't wait to give mine a polish. Already had all the dings removed.
Im basing it on the fact that even in the door apertures there its no orange peel. I could be wrong but jesus who the hell would pay for a whole car to be colour sanded including all the jams?
Old 07-14-2016, 01:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrycanon View Post
Nice paint work. I really like that yellow color on the car.
Thanks, I defo not for the shy retiring types lol