Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2016, 02:14 AM   #1
Shacky

New Window Regulator - Sounds Bad When Door CLoses

I had local Porsche Mechanic put my new passenger side window regulator in. He told me it was a challenging job. All seemed great until my wife got in and closed the door with the window down. Sounded like the window crashed! If window is in up position there's no problem. Closing door while down sounds like something is very loose.

Any ideas?

shacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:53 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I had to restring my drivers door yesterday. I have replaced both sides in the last year. The hardest part (for me) is getting the door card off. The cable and micro switch are short and you need a third hand to disconnect while holding the card. Look at the attached picture.

http://www.carparts.com/details/Porsche/Boxster/Replacement/Window_Regulator/2000/REPP462925.html?TID=gglpla&origin=pla&gclid=CJ-6jp6E0M4CFVYsvQodUAILHQ

It is fairly straight forward job, for a window regulator. Although I have a 97 without an airbag. There are 10mm nuts on top and bottom of each track. And 3 10mm nuts that hold the motor. There are 2 30 torx screws that pinch the glass to the guides. If everything is tight, nothing should be knocking about. I wonder if the window is not in one of the pinch clamps. In any case, sounds like it needs to come back apart.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:58 AM   #3
1999 base

Garage
In my opinion the window height needs to be adjusted.
From what you are describing, it seems like the window is dropping too low and going under the rubber seal.
There is a good artical on the pelican website showing the procedure, and the specs for adjustments.
The adjustment is pretty easy, and can be done without removing the door cover.
However, if you don't feel like doing it yourself, you will be able at least to check the adjasment and confirm that is your issu.
I will post a link for you in a bit.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:04 AM   #4
1999 base

Garage
Here you go.

Porsche Boxster Window Regulator Replacement / Window Switch Replacement / Window Motor Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Focuse on figure 6.
Section E in the picture, shows the height adjasment screws, that can be accessed from the button of the door, removing the two rubber plugs.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
Shacky

Thank you all! I plan to bring it back to shop and will direct them to your recommendations.
shacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I just did a reg replacement on another local Boxster on Wednesday. Honestly it went so much quicker and smoother than when I did mine, and didn't take too much to adjust it (baselined it with tape beforehand).

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote