Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
2009 Issues to Look For

I have an opportunity on a 2009 S from a friend in my PCA group. The car has 25K on the ODO. He is asking just below book for it with nothing added for the aftermarket options that cost +/-$9K. He has all the receipts/paperwork/history from day one.

Factory Options are PDK, 19" Carrera S wheels, BiXenon's, Bose, Sports Chrono + lesser items. Aftermarket Options are IPD Plenum, Protomotive ECU, Bilstein PSS9 + others. All of this work was done by a local, well regarded, indie shop.

I will be test driving it this weekend. My concern is it may be a bit stiff for a street/daily driver.

Besides the PPI mantra, what else should I be concerned/looking/asking about on a 987.2?

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
I have an opportunity on a 2009 S from a friend in my PCA group. The car has 25K on the ODO. He is asking just below book for it with nothing added for the aftermarket options that cost +/-$9K. He has all the receipts/paperwork/history from day one.

Factory Options are PDK, 19" Carrera S wheels, BiXenon's, Bose, Sports Chrono + lesser items. Aftermarket Options are IPD Plenum, Protomotive ECU, Bilstein PSS9 + others. All of this work was done by a local, well regarded, indie shop.

I will be test driving it this weekend. My concern is it may be a bit stiff for a street/daily driver.

Besides the PPI mantra, what else should I be concerned/looking/asking about on a 987.2?
An '09 S with Sport Chrono and PDK (hopefully with paddle shifters) is an absolute rocket ship when driven in "Sport" mode.

If you let your emotions rule, I can't see how you could walk away from buying it.

There was some buzz on the 'net a while back about possible engine problems in the early 9A1 engines. You could do a search on that.

But I've driven an '09 with almost the exact same specs as this car, and I was HUGELY impressed. Yes, it was THAT good. In fact, I alerted the owner to advise me when he gets ready to sell.

Just sayin'...........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #3

That's a deal every day of the week. Unless a PPI reveals something scary - grab it. Sweet car, lots of power, handles great....
Old 02-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #4

There was some anxiety about carbon build up but it seems to be less than other DFI engines.
I think you will find the ride intolerable and the car unacceptable ,so just give the owner my number..... :-).
I looked hard for such a car but failed to find one. Instead I bought a much older S .I am ready to upgrade if you want to give the owner my number ?
Good Luck and let us know how it goes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
I looked hard for such a car but failed to find one.
Every '09 S I've seen listed for sale (only a handful) has sold within hours of posting.

Just sayin'..........

TO
Old 02-09-2017, 02:21 AM   #6

I haven't watched closely, but the only two issues I've heard about are: 1) carbon build-up in DFI cars (only 987.2S models are DFI) and 2) some PDK failures. Over on Planet-9 I saw a thread title about a "cure" recently being announced for carbon build-up other than having an expensive cleansing. And not sure how prevalent the PDK failures are, but I've heard Porsche handles them like IMS from the mid-2000s, ie, don't tear it apart and fix the problem, instead replace it with a new one. It's also my understanding a special tool is required to align the installation of a PDK and this tool is uber expensive so most Indies don't have it. So if a $5 part fails you have to take it to Porsche and they're answer is a new trans.

As stated above, I have not followed these issues closely and I am not trying to be a fear-mongerer. I just want to point you in a direction so you can do your own research. Planet-9 has a 987 chat section that is filled with lots of info. Just realize no car is perfect and if you research long enough, you can talk yourself out of buying any car. Since the car you're looking at is the first year for DFI and PDK, it might have the 1st yr curse and will probably have the most miles of the 987.2 crowd, exposing any design flaws.

However, a 987.2 will always hold its value because it is considered to have fixed all the issues with the 987.1 PLUS the scarcity of 987.2s because of the recession. If you buy it and don't like it, you'll have no trouble selling it.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 02-09-2017 at 02:26 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #7
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Thanks for the input everybody. I will check Planet-9 for more info.

The test drive has been postponed until Sunday. LA is in for more rain the next two days. Here are a couple of pics. According to my wife, it's a done deal. God bless her. She is more excited about it than I am.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:11 AM   #8

That is a great looking car! Love that colour, love those wheels.....best of luck!
Old 02-10-2017, 04:03 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Looks real sharp in that color! Congrats!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:17 PM   #10
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I drove the car on Sunday afternoon. What a beast. Needless to say (but I'm gonna anyway) what a departure from my 97. It has an IPD plenum, Protomotive ECU upgrade, the mufflers have been opened up an altered with a Dream 1 exhaust tip. So it breathes really freely. Not overly loud.

The P-Zeros with spacers and the Bilstein's make for a car that handles really well. It is stiff but not harsh.

Manually shifting the PDK is gonna take some getting used to. (I know, boo-hoo) They are a sliding forward back thing on the wheel instead of paddles. Very different from the 97 Tip buttons. I wonder if there is an update to a more current paddle steering wheel? In auto/sport mode, you just mash the peddle and hold on. I can't imagine ever driving it in Sports+. 2.5 L/200 HP to 3.4 L/+/-340 HP is night and day. This car moves. I need a good DE soon.

We agreed on a price. The mechanics I spoke with tell me the seller is 'meticulous' in how he maintains his cars. Short of a small bump on the right rear, this car is very clean. Plan to pick it up this weekend.

Thanks again for everybody's input.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #11

Congrats on purchasing a great looking car!

In later 987.2s, you could get a paddle shifter steering wheel. They occasionally come up for sale on P-9 classifieds, but you have to act fast as they sell quickly.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:21 AM   #12
Damn Yankee

Garage
Suncoast sells the steering wheel with paddles.

Professional installation might also be pricey, but it may be worth it. I've driven cars with both the buttons and the paddles, and there is a world of difference. The paddles win hands down.

Just sayin'............

TO
Old 02-15-2017, 04:33 AM   #13
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
They occasionally come up for sale on P-9 classifieds, but you have to act fast as they sell quickly.
There's a new one listed on eBay right now for $750.00

Porsche Leather Paddle Steering Wheel -991 and 997.2 PDK Carrera Boxster Cayman | eBay

Just sayin'...........

TO
Old 02-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #14

May I ask what the final price was on this fine example of an 09S PKD?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #15
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Thanks for the links on the wheel. I think that would be a huge improvement. The piggy bank is gonna need to fatten up a bit first.

I paid $27K. Several variations through KBB had it valued +/- $1,500 higher. And all of the upgrades are basically free. Add in +/- $2,100 for taxes and +/-$400 registration. We are all in for just under $30K. Insurance was quoted at +/- $600 a year.

My wife surprised me and went and picked up the car today. But on a sad note, the guy we bought the car from had a major heart attack yesterday and is in the hospital. Everyday is a gift. You are in our prayers Michael.