Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
MWS

FLIR Nightvision Assist questions

Does anyone have any experience with a vehicle that has a Nightvision assist feature (ie thermal imaging)? I am curious as to the actual effective detection of objects (people, animals)...basically, how well does it work?

I am considering adding one (FLIR Pathfinder II), but am weighing the cost/benefit, as the product plus installation could run in excess of $4000 - $5000.

This is an manufacturer option on some higher trim vehicles, and is also available as an aftermarket add-on....hoping someone here might have either an OEM or add-on and would like to share user experience.

Thanks in advance.

MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #2

FLIR needs its own IR illuminators doesn't it? You will need powerfull IR Illumintors to get as much range as your headlights.

Thermal imaging is something else altogether and does not need illuminator assistance but the cost is prohibitive I would think.

What is it your trying to achieve with the nightvision?

Maybe brighter headlights if you need to see better in the dark.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
FLIR needs its own IR illuminators doesn't it? You will need powerfull IR Illumintors to get as much range as your headlights.

Thermal imaging is something else altogether and does not need illuminator assistance but the cost is prohibitive I would think.

Maybe brighter headlights if you need to see better in the dark.
No, not with true Forward Looking Infra Red (FLIR). Everything has a slightly different temperature. That means everything is emitting infra red light, which you cannot see, but you feel it at a bonfire as heat. With proper optics coupled with a computer, one can sense extremely small differences in temperature by separating IR wavelengths and looking at each one individually. Ground that is very slightly warmer due to a shoe recently in contact with it is easily "seen". With true FLIR, the objects themselves are providing all the illumination required.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Our forum is the most awesome, but for this, I think you would best look elsewhere. Try Audi and MB forums or search specific aftermarket units.
Here's a sample from Audi World:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/night-vision-assistant-2867792/

I must admit, this was my favorite comment:

I used to fly with a HUD on my NVGs and what I'd really like to have for night driving is a good HUD unit projecting on the windshield. - Not essential, but combine the FLIR/Enhanced vision with essential data in your field of view.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
...I am considering adding one (FLIR Pathfinder II), but am weighing the cost/benefit, as the product plus installation could run in excess of $4000 - $5000....
There's some good YouTube on that unit. I like it, and the cost seems to run about 1/2 of what you are showing. *considering that the installation looked very straightforward to DIY.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRz1zQgU-ck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PIZtx4IQlw
Old 09-19-2017, 05:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I used to fly with a HUD on my NVGs
78F350, out of curiosity which platform is the NVG..?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #7
MWS

Quote:
Age+Dark+Animals=Potential Bad Things, and in a rural area, you can multiply each on the left side of the equation by the "how rural" factor and the outcome is even higher. But then again, there may be a flaw in my math, as it would appear (by my formula) that your age is determined by Bad Things minus Dark+Animals. Lol

Quote:
what I'd really like to have for night driving is a good HUD unit projecting on the windshield
I'm not willing to admit how much I would pay if this was an option. No lag NV seamless overlay on a HUD, now we are talking. Why can't the future be today, or at least tomorrow? Oh wait, the future IS tomorrow...sigh.

But seriously, thanks for pointing me to the Audi forum. As my other cars are Audis, I suppose I should be aware of what's going on over there as well. Too much information, too little time.

Last edited by MWS; 09-19-2017 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Quote error
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
78F350, out of curiosity which platform is the NVG..?
I flew Blackhawks in the US Army with ANVIS-6 and -9 NVGs (Night Vision Goggles) and started using the AN/AVS-7 HUD (Heads Up Display) in the late 1990s in a unit that first tested them. I am a big fan of night vision/enhanced imaging systems and still fly with NVGs in civilian EMS. In the Army on a complex mission I preferred to fly at night and with the HUD so I could keep my focus outside the aircraft.
Here's a pic of Night Vision Goggles with the HUD. The right side shows the view with the HUD overlay:

Currently I'm flying a helicopter with a Garmin G1000 system (Bell 407GXP). The pilot screen shows an accurate synthetic terrain view that is good enough to land to a runway in an emergency without seeing outside the aircraft. Much better than flying on a pitch black night with just eyeballs and 'steam gauges' hoping that the ridges stayed below me and the clouds stayed above me.