Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #1

Boxster Will not start after rekeying

Hi,
I'm new to the forums and i'm hopping someone could help me with an issue i'm having. I have a 2001 Boxster S that someone recently tried to break in to and it broke my key tumbler in the driver side door. I bought used locks/keys for the ignition, door, and center console off of a parted 2004.

Long story short after changing all key tumblers the car will not start (doesn't even try to turn over). Everything else works fine, the car locks and the alarm arms. My thoughts are it has something to do with the ignition key tumbler and the alarm system. I'm thinking that the car thinks someone is trying to steel it and will not allow it to start. (i did forget to unplug the batter when i changed the ignition tumbler so maybe that's why it locked it out?)

Any help is appreciated.

sjsuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #2

Garage
Porsche keys are three separate parts the key blade, Key fob with locking system buttons, and RFID tag.
Do you still have the original keys? The RFID chip in the key fob has a code which is recognized by the ignition RFID reader. Its transmitted to the immobilizer if the codes don't match the car will not start. Likewise the locking control transmitter just like a garage door opener is coded in the Immobilizer, and the new one probably will not open the doors or trunks
Your options are
1. Remove the Key fob from the old key and install it on the new key blade. Make sure you do not damage the small glass tube in the base of the key fob this is the RFID tag.
2. have the car taken to a dealer and have them save the new key ID into the Immobilizer.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
If you just change out the key and tumbler, you will need to swap the transponder from your old key into the new one. It looks like a small pill within the key.

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:34 AM   #4

you can buy a three lock set for the Coral Spring Locksmith and Honda do them as standard.personally i wouldn't want anyone who found one key to be able to ride off on the bike too.......

asafashkenazi is offline   Reply With Quote