Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2016, 04:08 AM   #1
IronDeadPool

Need a little help please!!!

Good morning everyone, new to the Porsche Boxster world.
Recently purchased a 2001 Seal Grey Boxster and its in need of a few repairs.

1) I have condensation In my trunk above oil/coolant, I suspect it's the O-Rings for the bleeder valve.

2) my brake pedal goes to the floor, I still have brake pedal but not much. When the cars parked I can pump it and it will feel as its working, but when I start it goes to the floor. I suspect it's the master cylinder.

Can these parts only be purchased through the dealer or is there after market parts that will be just as good as OEM. If possible can someone supply me the part numbers for what I need.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Project IronDeadPool
986ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:26 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Put on a new coolant cap. Search for that term and you'll find the current part number. Very easy fix, next culprit may be cracked coolant tank but doubtful.

The brake pedal sounds like air in the system. Have Porsche flush the fluid or buy a Motive bleeder and do it in an hour or less. Do both sides of each caliper, farthest to closest to master cylinder.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:52 AM   #3

Hello 986ohana,

Coolant: first try a new cap. If you still have the problem than water coolant reservoir or the o-ring.

Brakes: when was the system bleeded last time? Should be done every 2 years. If you don't have any maintenance history bleed the brakes and if you have an MT car don't forget to bleed the clutch or let it be done by a workshop.

If you still have problems you should check the brake system.

Neil_B has done some videos of how to bleed brakes and replace brake master cylinder. You should use OEM parts when it comes to brake cylinders. Parts are available from ATE, Bosch and TRW after market.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:23 AM   #4
IronDeadPool

Perfect thank you guys for quick reply, I will purchase a new coolant cap and bleed brakes and MT to see if that helps with my brake issue.

Project IronDeadPool
986ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #5

Congrats on your Seal Gray car. Everybody knows Seal Gray is the best, ha!

Before you even buy a new coolant cap, you can pull up the carpet and Styrofoam in the trunk and see if you've got liquid coolant, or old, crusty, dried coolant under there. That's the cracked tank problem. Just went through it last Fall. Couldn't replace it myself, had to pay an indie to do it.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #6

Garage
You can buy parts at a good price in Montreal and Toronto. I buy mine of europartsetc.com near Montreal as they are closer to me in Rockland ON.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
Just don't have the brakes bled at the dealer Timco used, they spilled brake fluid on his wheels
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:42 PM   #8
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Just don't have the brakes bled at the dealer Timco used, they spilled brake fluid on his wheels
Hey, you and your cat can......

Strong Porsche, State St., SLC.

There's definitely 911 service and 986 service standards. Still have the clouds from the thick muddy mess the fluid made when mixed with brake dust in the barrels. I had just refinished the rears. As many will recall, I went full retard on the board. That was an awful day. :ah:

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote