Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2004, 03:09 AM   #1

Warranty

I just purchased a 2000 arena red boxster S. I will pick it up this weekend. I need some help please, the car has 5800 miles on it and the mfg. warranty is good until May of '04. I talked to the local Porsche dealership here in Nashville about purchasing an extended warranty, and he said all they could offer me is an additional 3 year 36k warranty with a $200 deductible for $2500. Does this sound right? Does anyone know another Porsche dealership that might have a better deal? The price doesn't bother me as much as the $200 deductible. Please for give my ignorance, the last Porsche I owned was a 74 914 2.0 and that was in 1979. Thank you in advance.

bodacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:15 AM   #2

hmmmm. I wish I could be more help on this subject but I dont even have a warranty anymore, and if I did probably would be voided out with all my modifications.
The warranty you mention doesnt seem too bad. I would recommend taking your new car and bring it to an independant Porsche mechanic and ask them to completely go over the vehicle and point out any potential problems so you can bring it back to the dealer prior to the origional warranty running out. In my experience 2500 doesnt conver a whole lot when it comes to these cars. how much additional per month is this extended warraty? Do you plan to do any aftermarket work? How long after you purchase the car do you have to decide on the additional warranty?These are things you want to consider before just getting the additional warranty.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:21 AM   #3

The $2500 is for the complete warranty 3 years 36k miles with a $200 deductible. My warranty runs out in May. I don't plan on modifying this car, I have already sunk too much money in my C5.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:26 AM   #4

Personally, if you are planning on leaving it stock, I probably wouldnt bother getting the extended. Especially for 2500. I would probably skip the additional expense. How much do you plan on driving it. Daily driver, weekends? Daily driver it miht be worth getting the additional warranty, weekend driver...dont bother spending more money...
Old 01-14-2004, 07:33 AM   #5

It will be a weekend car. I know I am comparing apples to oranges, but man I had to do a great deal of work on my 914. I am just a little leary of Porsches. Please don't get the wrong idea I love them, but the whole reason I haven't purchased a Porsche until now was due to the bad taste that 914 left in my mouth. All that aside, I still miss that 914 on some days.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:41 AM   #6

well I can understand that. Really all the money I have spent on my car has been modifications other then basic maintenance over the years of owning my 986.I have 28 k miles on mine now and really havent had too many actual problems with mine. And in regards to what I have spent on those problem or what it would have cost me while under warranty I still thinks works out to less then 2500. In the end its probably really what makes you feel better. Spend the money up front and let it be over with or roll the dice and hopefully in the end you wont have many troubles with your car...
Old 01-14-2004, 07:44 AM   #7

Thank you for all of your help. To everyone else, I really enjoy the site. I look forward to corresponding with all of you.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:47 AM   #8

Np glad to have ya around. Wish i could be a little more help.
Yeah we have a pretty good group here on this site. Hopefully we can keep up the activity
Old 01-14-2004, 09:18 AM   #9
b0xt0La

I just got a quick quote from Warranty Direct. You can look at it here.. Warranty Direct is one of the best warranty companies around.Here is another quote from www.1SourceAutoWarranty.com . NEVER buy an extended warranty through the dealer. They will always rip you off. Here is a website if you want to learn more about extended warranties.
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:46 AM   #10
Watch Freak

Guys, with all due respect, what the dealer is offering him is not a warranty per se. It is a Porsche Authorized Pre-owned Certification. It is a thorough car inspection and certification certificate which will extend the factory warranty of the vehicle through Porsche. I have it on my S and it is good through 8/2005. In my case it also included the 15,000 mile service and was done in the summer of 2003.

While an aftermarket warranty company may be good, they will never pay the rates of a Porsche dealer's labor and they will always look for aftermarket parts if available. If you want the car serviced by the dealer with genuine parts then you will find a huge gap between what these companies will pay and what your bill will be!
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Stryke; 01-14-2004 at 10:49 AM.
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:39 PM   #11

Shop around a little - I am in the car business and you may find another dealer that may sell the warranty at less of a profit. They make money on them as they should but you may find that another dealer will do better. Typically these are sold in the finance dept so I would ask for them when you call.
satlanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:55 PM   #12
Watch Freak

The Porsche pre-owned certification is a flat fee of $2,500 dictated by Porsche. All Porsche dealers charge that same amount.
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:16 PM   #13

If the car is purchased at a Porsche store it can be certified after an inspection - if it is not all that can be done is to purchase and ext. warnty unless they have changed the rules -
satlanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 05:33 PM   #14
Forum Member

Another good warranty is sold by Wynns the oil people, they pay retail labor and are easy for the repair shop to use.

Steve

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote