Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #1
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Cool FYI: New Replacement LCDs Now Available

Maybe they always were...

Anyway, I bought a clock/oil gauge LCD to replace mine, so I'll do a write up in a couple of weeks detailing the process.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-LCD-display-w-cable-for-Porsche-991-996-Instrument-Cluster-right-/301854685999?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Middle-LCD-display-w-cable-for-Porsche-991-996-Instrument-Cluster-/291666976646?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

You'll need one of these and some guts to work with the the thermal bond.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30W-Soldering-Iron-w-T-Tip-Teflon-for-BMW-Mercedes-Benz-LCD-Pixel-Ribbon-Repair-/201434444902?nav=SEARCH

Last edited by particlewave; 03-27-2016 at 06:17 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #2

This must be a relatively recent change. They were not available a few years ago when I was attempting to find someone to repair a 996 cluster for installation in my Boxster. I'll look for your DIY instructions (and hope that I never need them.)
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
This is the first time I've seen them.
I've bought 3 clusters over the years, looking for a good clock/oil LCD to replace mine with. All 3 clusters that I bought had issues with the LCDs, so it will be nice to have a new one instead of another gamble.

I have not seen the left side odometer LCD, but hopefully there is one.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:14 AM   #4

Garage
Pity they don't have for 2003+ models
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #5

Watching closely

PW you are the perfect person to field this

Now if we could just buy those two outside gauges for our instrument clusters directly some place
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Easy peasy...

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:49 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Great find! I plan to buy this kit and keep it for the future.

Some people (myself included) believe that that the Achilles Heel of modern cars will ultimately be the lack of available electronic parts since many of the key components and processes originally used to manufacture them are already long past obsolete.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Great find! I plan to buy this kit and keep it for the future.

Some people (myself included) believe that that the Achilles Heel of modern cars will ultimately be the lack of available electronic parts since many of the key components and processes originally used to manufacture them are already long past obsolete.
And to add to this, the inability to tackle these types of fixes. It's very cool and a huge site benefit that members with this knowledge share the process and inspire every day gear heads to make these fixes.

Thanks PW and others who encourage DIY at all levels.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #9

Just got my new issue of Hemmings Sports and Exotics and there is an article on this very topic-electronics dying in cars from the 80's and 90's may keep these cars off the road, a group in Belgium is working to prevent this from happening.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #10

hmmm who cares knowing that we'll all have to adhere to the RFID and schema from transport ministries sooner than you can imagine. There, for you Belgium.

That will make your Porsche 997 redundant by then if not correctly retrofitted "by the auto-maker himself". Appealing to many gov atm are the recent studies concluding substantial cost savings over traffic control using RFID type technologies, keeps us all in the correct lane also, apparently

Subscribe to your DOT monthly newsletter to find out more And auction your vintage collection while you still can lolll
Old 06-19-2016, 12:04 AM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Glad to see these become available again, I remember seeing them on eBay for a brief time several years ago. This is a great option considering how much of a PITA it is to reprogram an instrument cluster, which requires a PST2.

I also find the electronics in cars concerning. Tesla's are great but you probably won't see many on the road in 20-30 years when the computer in it dies or the software is too outdated. I already worry about my 986 over the long term, but Porsche seems offer parts for every model regardless of age, at a price.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post

I also find the electronics in cars concerning. Tesla's are great but you probably won't see many on the road in 20-30 years when the computer in it dies or the software is too outdated. I already worry about my 986 over the long term, but Porsche seems offer parts for every model regardless of age, at a price.
That is an excellent point. About a year ago (http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/54697-advice-used-litronics.html) I rewired a litronic headlight when the biodegradable insulation crumbled off. I've seen several posts from 986 and 996 owners that had the same issue. It leads me to wonder if there are any other problems that will surface when the cars hit 20 or 25 years of age.

It's great that Porsche has a good track record of providing parts for older cars, but how many of us would to take apart a car to replace a wiring harness?

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote