Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2016, 05:52 AM   #1

Locksmith in Detroit, Michigan area for HAA key cutting?

Only found a couple locksmiths that would even cut key and they want from $40-$50 per key. That seems steep considering my brother paid $25 in North Carolina to get a key cut and I've read other people paying around $20. VW & Audi use the same key blank.

Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #2

cut key

I bought a key from EBAY then brought that key to Porsche dealer. They cut it for me for FREE.
cesarpeji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarpeji View Post
I bought a key from EBAY then brought that key to Porsche dealer. They cut it for me for FREE.
But not in Detroit area. :-(
Old 06-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarpeji View Post
Lucky. Nobody around here wants to touch the ebay or amazon chinese keys because they destroy the key cutter.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
Lucky. Nobody around here wants to touch the ebay or amazon chinese keys because they destroy the key cutter.
That seems like a myth propagated by dealers to justify their higher key costs. You can easily check to see if the key is brass with a magnet (which the dealer or a locksmith can do too.) The two Ebay keys I got from different sources were both brass not steel.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #6

I also bought a key from ebay and sent it back to the seller, because the buttons on the key where not made of rubber, but of plastic. So it wasn't possible to press them. Also i didn't find any key shop nearby who was able to cut the key. In the end i bought a new HUF key from Porsche, which was 125 Euros (approx. 140 USD).

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
I also bought a key from ebay and sent it back to the seller, because the buttons on the key where not made of rubber, but of plastic. So it wasn't possible to press them. Also i didn't find any key shop nearby who was able to cut the key. In the end i bought a new HUF key from Porsche, which was 125 Euros (approx. 140 USD).

Regards, Markus
$120 U.S. is what I was quoted, for a key, from Porsche, cut to the VIN.