Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #1
Rookie

Garage
Post 997 shifter install questions

I put a 997 shifter in the Box today and despite the install going smoothly there are a couple of issues that I searched for and couldnt really find an answer to.

A quick history for perspective. When I very first purchased the car an indy disconnected my shifter linkage, while in gear, when he was replacing my clutch. Not only did he not say a word or admit to it but he tried to return the car to me with my shifter all screwed up. Obviously I was more than a little pissed but long story short I made him fix it and he did, to a certain degree, but the shifter was never smooth or perfectly aligned again (neither was serious tho). Fast forward two years later and, using the $3 centering locking tool, I did my 997 shifter install and ended up out of alignment to the right despite my best efforts to mark cables and carefully do a direct swap. Its not seriously out of alignment but is now officially out enough to be annoying. Is there a guide on how to adjust the cables so Im not going at it blind? Could this idiot have adjusted anything at the transmission that may have screwed up my shifter alignment thats going to hurt me trying to get it properly adjusted now? Are there adjustments at the transmission end?

Second issue, it goes into gear but in two stages. Almost like its sticking half way before going all the way into the next gear. Is this a binding cable? Can/should the cables be lubricated? If so are there procedures somewhere? If not, whats the fix? The shifter itself and connecting cables below it were in perfect shape. The cables going back to the transmission, Im not sure their condition, but overall Ive found the car to be in pretty good shape and I tend to believe this is just an adjustment issue.

Any input is greatly appricated.

Last edited by TypeA; 06-15-2016 at 08:10 PM.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Mig

Garage
Here's what I've learned from working on these cars..

I have a bit of experience with these shifters. I put a short-shift kit in my Cayman and replaced the stock one in my 986 Boxster. I've also done the clutches in both.

Transmission End:
It makes no difference what gear the transmission is in when you disconnect or reattach the cables from the transmission. The cables can only go back on one way. The cables fit into their bracket on the transmission only one way and ends push onto the linkage. Done. No adjustment. If you need to make an adjustment you actually have to buy an adjustable relay rod from Porsche.

Shifter End:
As you probably know, The shifter in the car is totally free floating. There are no gates. That's why it doesn't matter what gear the transmission is in when you disconnect or reattach the cables.

The adjustment at the shifter end is for locating the shifter in the desired position to ensure full travel in all directions and also for ergonomics.

The side to side motion is adjusted by the blue cable. Just play with different settings until you find the one you like that still allows the shifter to work properly. Obviously mark the original position so that you have a baseline in case you need to go back to square one.
Mig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:21 AM   #3

Mig is correct - adjust the blue (left) cable.

I did the Function First upgrade to my CSS and it's great.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/60731-function-first-shift-right-soln.html
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
Rookie

Garage
Thanks to you both, happy to report its centered. I lithium greased the start of the cables at the shifter end and at the transmission end, plus the plunger that goes into the side of the transmission. Only test drive was around the block and while it helped it is still rough dropping fully into gear. The 997 shifter is a cool upgrade and worth the $75 I spent. I dont know, I know the car is badly past due on a transmission flush, its on the list and maybe thats my problem. It does get a little smoother as it warms up.

Thanks again.

Last edited by TypeA; 06-16-2016 at 09:00 AM.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote