View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Mig

Garage
Here's what I've learned from working on these cars..

I have a bit of experience with these shifters. I put a short-shift kit in my Cayman and replaced the stock one in my 986 Boxster. I've also done the clutches in both.

Transmission End:
It makes no difference what gear the transmission is in when you disconnect or reattach the cables from the transmission. The cables can only go back on one way. The cables fit into their bracket on the transmission only one way and ends push onto the linkage. Done. No adjustment. If you need to make an adjustment you actually have to buy an adjustable relay rod from Porsche.

Shifter End:
As you probably know, The shifter in the car is totally free floating. There are no gates. That's why it doesn't matter what gear the transmission is in when you disconnect or reattach the cables.

The adjustment at the shifter end is for locating the shifter in the desired position to ensure full travel in all directions and also for ergonomics.

The side to side motion is adjusted by the blue cable. Just play with different settings until you find the one you like that still allows the shifter to work properly. Obviously mark the original position so that you have a baseline in case you need to go back to square one.
Mig is offline   Reply With Quote