986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Front-rear rake after fitting coilovers (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61896-front-rear-rake-after-fitting-coilovers.html)

snotrag 06-06-2016 03:50 AM

Front-rear rake after fitting coilovers

All - got my H&R coilover setup fitted, now playing with ride heights before getting it aligned.

What's the consensus on front-rear rake, when aiming for a neutral road/odd trackday balance?

I'm used to setting my old Mazdas up with a noticeable amount if rake to the front - with the weight and grip balance being so different, not sure how the Boxster should be set to start with and I can't find much info to help.

The car wont be going super low as it will be used on the road regularly.

Flavor 987S 06-06-2016 04:49 AM

You don't see much of a rake, if any, on a Boxster, that's more of a 911 thing.

steved0x 06-06-2016 06:07 AM

When I installed my coilovers (KSports) I ended up with about a 1" rake as measured from the fender arches down through the wheel centerline to the ground. BAD! I also had the front way too low (but it looked good :) ) I took it to the track like that and it was scary loose, the back end would break loose in a second, It was terrifying.

I also had my front too low so I raised it up and now I think it is just under a fraction less than 1/2 inch of rake at the fender wells, but for my final heights I didn't measure there, I used the guidelines in the manual for checking heights and I made sure I kept the same relative differences in heights as the ROW M030 Sport heights.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1465221695.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1465221709.jpg

I would have to look at my notes at home to see what my actual heights are, I think those settings yielded about a 1/2" rake as measured through the fender arches.

The car handled beautifully, no crazy oversteer like before when I had it setup wrong, and no push like I used to get with the factory setup. I had -1.3 in front (I guessed wrong on my camber plates again! I was shooting for -1.5, I didn't take into account that when I raised the front some of the previously too high negative camber would be reduced) and -1.7 in back, no front toe, a smidgen of toe in at the back. Tire wear was even and really good all the way around and I did 8 20 minute sessions over 2 days.

I *think* my front measurements were between 110 and 120 mm in the front, with 114 to 124 in the back. I went a little lower than ROW M030 Sport, I think around 1/2" to 3/4". I can reply back, but also see what other folks have to say that have a lot more experience than me.

The other thing I did differently when I adjusted my heights the 2nd time is I used a micrometer and made sure that my threaded collars were set *exactly* the same side to side down the mm. My various height measurements were off a little after I set them this way, but once I got it aligned the heights got into line and matched up. Then I put it on the scales at Roebling (didn't know they had them) and my corner weights were 49.5% and 50.5% with me in and out of the car. Pretty close and as close as when I paid to get it corner balanced last time (the settings and $$$ of which were totally lost when I reset the car back up...)

snotrag 06-07-2016 03:36 AM

That's very useful thanks, I don't think I'm very far from that difference front-rear.

Topless 06-07-2016 03:26 PM

Suggestion: Have your car corner balanced and aligned by a pro shop that knows Porsche motorsport. Yes it will cost more than Jimmies align and muffler, but the results will be excellent.

Ride height, corner balance, and performance alignment are all interconnected and best left to very experienced hands IMO.

steved0x 06-07-2016 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 498831)
Suggestion: Have your car corner balanced and aligned by a pro shop that knows Porsche motorsport. Yes it will cost more than Jimmies align and muffler, but the results will be excellent.

Ride height, corner balance, and performance alignment are all interconnected and best left to very experienced hands IMO.

+1000 If I had done that I would have saved $$$ plus not ruined a track weekend.

thstone 06-07-2016 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 498831)

I agree 200%. I leave this to the pro's.