Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #1

More iPod integration news for MOST.

Just got off the phone with Dice Electronics regarding an ETA on the iPod integration for MOST systems. The rep said they are actually in production at the manufacturer and barring any strange delays should be out in about 45 days. Now I know we've heard this before (for about a year and a half,) but this is the first that I've heard that they are actually IN production.

Anyone have any idea how introducing a third-party add-on to the radio affects the warranty? According to the guy at Dice Electronics it shouldn't be an issue... just curious what everyone here thinks.

Lastly, I asked what the hold-up was. He informed my that it wasn't because of licensing (which would have been my guess) but rather these aren't off-the-shelf components and there was a serious development cycle behind the products.

Still... I'm much more encouraged today than I was the last time I spoke to them.

laphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:47 PM   #2

Thanks for the update LAPhil. I'm glad one of us got off his ass and followed up on this. Any word on price, or the price of the comparable existing non-MOST integration unit?

So then, what was all the hubbub about their latest product that was released about a month ago? I'm so damn confused...

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #3

Latest hubbub as far as I'm concerned was all vaporware.

As for the non-MOST goes... DON'T! I have a wired FM-modulator (top of the line) and it is NOT worth the money for the quality -- espescially if you are in an urban area.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:30 PM   #4

Ipod Rant from Jeph

Ipod connectors. Man those lil' pods are popular. I think it's funny that manufacturers want to make cars with Ipod connectors in them. I guess that's what the masses want today. To me, it seems like a cupholder that only holds Pepsi. You can't hook up any other portable players to it.

A proper "line-out" would be an easy solution, and no one would wonder about adapter availabilty... but no, DRM comes first.

Also, the average car on the road is 9 years old. Are you gonna have your same iPod in 9 years? The iPods will change. Will their connectors? Technology certainly will change. Why aren't they wireless yet? Something like bluetooth* would really be good for iPods and other portable devices. Many cars already are toothin' it up by syncing with phones.

I know it's just an option, which makes it optional to use, but it's interesting to see how far a fad will go. (It kinda reminds me of those Bimmers in the late 90's that came with those Motorola SmartTac phones wired in.) Ah, the power of marketing. Debate it.

*Or any other up-and-coming wireless technology
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:39 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
afaict, the dice solution has line out, too -- sorry if i'm mistaken -- also, once the link to most is established any rewiring of a "new" ipod connector would be, relatively, simple -- finally, the auto manufacturers' (besides porsche -- boo!) impetus to offer ipod connectivity is a bow down to marketshare, not drm (but drm is the means by which the ipod offers the greatest downloadable music store around with 90% plus marketshare) -- gotta love vertical integration upholding quality control . . . with a faint splash of marketing
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:33 PM   #6

Actually, I'm for open standards. But I wasn't trying to get into a "fad" or "DRM" thread. Frankly I want to be able to plug in a Sirius unit as well... I suspect a line-in to MOST converter will be on the way for those who still want to plug in their favorite 30 year old 8-track tape player... but alas, I suspect the market may dictate what gets development first. Hmmm... kinda' like wanting Tivo to Go on my Mac.... oh wait, Windows got that one... but that's a whole NEW argument, huh ???
:ah:
Old 05-28-2006, 08:36 AM   #7

laphil...because you opened this thread you have now been designated the "IPOD/MP3/SIRIUS Connection in my P Car Rep". Please post when it is available for purchase and installation so I don't have to get off my lazy a$$ and research this stuff. I too just want to plug in my mind control device for the masses (IPOD) and satellite radio (El Paso is the king of Tejano Ooompa music).
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:37 AM   #8

I also would like to plug in a record player...how cool would that be? A giant record player sitting in the wheel well of the passenger side would be top of the line. I would love to pull up at a stoplight and change records.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:51 AM   #9

You know I'll be posting as soon as I get news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
laphil...because you opened this thread you have now been designated the "IPOD/MP3/SIRIUS Connection in my P Car Rep". Please post when it is available for purchase and installation so I don't have to get off my lazy a$$ and research this stuff. I too just want to plug in my mind control device for the masses (IPOD) and satellite radio (El Paso is the king of Tejano Ooompa music).
Old 05-28-2006, 10:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
I also would like to plug in a record player...how cool would that be? A giant record player sitting in the wheel well of the passenger side would be top of the line. I would love to pull up at a stoplight and change records.
especially if you are a talented enough driver to coordinate hard turns with record scratchin'. in fact, this could open a whole new segment of p-car driver education - dj-ing/autocross - winner takes home a neck full of bling!!!
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
A proper "line-out" would be an easy solution, and no one would wonder about adapter availabilty... but no, DRM comes first.
I'd kill for a line-in on my Boxster. My girlfriend's new Civic has one and we ditched her old FM transmitter in favor of that. She was amazed at how much sound she had been missing.

*sigh* her key fob also has seperate LOCK and UNLOCK buttons.