Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
MWS

Best OBD tool or app?

What is the best OBD tool (reader) either standalone or app? If app, prefer Apple compatible. I would be using for general diagnostics and troubleshooting.

I am leaning towards the dongle/app choice vs standalone unit. Pros/cons?

MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Owner

Garage
The best OBD reader for Porsche that is available to the public is the Durametric. Available in the Enthusiast or Pro versions. Only runs on a Windows computer.
tada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

I like Dashcommand. Great app. Needs android to work with a BT interface. Lots of info but it ain't no durametric.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #4
MWS

Yea, I know Durametric is the standard, but don't have a Win laptop anymore (several iPads though), but do have and older Kindle Fire. Have read some about Dashcommand, but wish there was an Apple alternative....if any suggestions, please advise. What about a standalone handheld unit?
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #5

Best OBD tool or app?

Sorry, I stopped looking at Durametric. Maybe edit your OP to save all us Durametric users dropping in
Old 06-02-2016, 12:37 AM   #6

If you don't go Durametric just buy a $15 OBD reader off of Amazon. The rest all work the same way. I have one and it's great.
Jthoms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:13 AM   #7

I use elm327 dongle and carista free app for general resets and fault finding on my euro cars mainly BMW but yet to try it on the boxster,
unfortunately as with everything good and cheap it doesn't work on apple, but we wont get into that battle haha
rusty69911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:25 AM   #8

Garage
Dash Command works on my IPhone
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:30 AM   #9

I have one I got at Amazon. Then I installed Torque Pro on my Tab. Works great clears codes etc.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:46 AM   #10

Garage
Have basic hand held plug in reader. Good for getting and resetting basic codes
Also use BT adaptor and Torque
Like because i can read real time engine levels
Especially coolant temp
Do want a Durametric
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:40 AM   #11
Mig

Garage
I'm going to be buying the iCarsoft PORII handheld unit. It's less than $200.on Amazon and has been talked about on various Porsche forums. It looks like it has some advanced functions and is not just s scanner.
Mig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:46 AM   #12
Bryan

Has anyone tried/own this one? It's on amazon.ca and says it's iphone/ios compatible.

Panlong OBD2 OBDII WiFi Wireless Car Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool Code Reader
https://www.amazon.ca/Panlong-Wireless-Diagnostic-Android-Symbian/dp/B00JQW9NCE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1464874844&sr=8-3&keywords=obd+reader
Old 06-02-2016, 06:14 AM   #13
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxterity View Post
Has anyone tried/own this one? It's on amazon.ca and says it's iphone/ios compatible.

Panlong OBD2 OBDII WiFi Wireless Car Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool Code Reader
https://www.amazon.ca/Panlong-Wireless-Diagnostic-Android-Symbian/dp/B00JQW9NCE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1464874844&sr=8-3&keywords=obd+reader
Yes, I have one. I use it with Dashcommand and OBD Fusion on the very iPad I am now typing. Works well for general items and codes. Can only read bank 1 for timing so getting cam timing differences is not possible.

I paid about $30.00 CDN 2 years ago and the Apps are free so beggars can't be choosers.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #14

I'd think twice before purchasing a POR-II if you have a 2004 or newer vehicle.

I purchased a POR-II thinking it would be great due to all the advanced functionality.

The documentation they provide is very misleading and you really have to dig down deep into it to find out that the POR-II does not reset airbag lights, communicate with the ABS system or the airbag system on any 986 later than 2003. I purchased it to reset an airbag light on my 2004 S and after much back and forth with the manufacturer and lots of wasted time (at one point even telling me that my vehicle's ECU must be damaged), they finally admitted this fact, told me that I should have found it all in the online documentation and that therefore, no they won't take it back. The support guy I was working with told me that the POR-II doesn't communicate with the ABS or Airbag system on any Porsche vehicle later than 2003, "because it's a proprietary system and we didn't buy the rights to it from Porsche," but I've only got experience with the 986 platform, so I can't say from personal experience whether or not that's the case.

I purchased a durametric and it worked just fine and communicated with all systems. I wish I would have just spent the extra $$ from the beginning.

I know you're looking at other options, but the poster above said he was looking at a POR-II and I wanted to let him know its limitations.

Last edited by hoyabob2003; 06-02-2016 at 11:20 AM.
hoyabob2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #15

Can someone verify that PORII will reset air bag lights on a pre-2004?
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #16
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I use my Durametric on an old netbook which is only used for this purpose. I have several old laptops kicking around gathering dust and I am sure you know someone who will give you an old clunker that only needs to run Windows 7 . Install the Durametric program and nothing else and Bob's your uncle !
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #17

Durametric on Mac

I recently purchased the Enthusiast version of the Durametric. I run a Windows 7 virtual machine with VMware Fusion on a MacBook Pro and the Durametric software runs without any problems.
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:39 PM   #18
Mig

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyabob2003 View Post
I'd think twice before purchasing a POR-II if you have a 2004 or newer vehicle.

I purchased a POR-II thinking it would be great due to all the advanced functionality.

The documentation they provide is very misleading and you really have to dig down deep into it to find out that the POR-II does not reset airbag lights, communicate with the ABS system or the airbag system on any 986 later than 2003. I purchased it to reset an airbag light on my 2004 S and after much back and forth with the manufacturer and lots of wasted time (at one point even telling me that my vehicle's ECU must be damaged), they finally admitted this fact, told me that I should have found it all in the online documentation and that therefore, no they won't take it back. The support guy I was working with told me that the POR-II doesn't communicate with the ABS or Airbag system on any Porsche vehicle later than 2003, "because it's a proprietary system and we didn't buy the rights to it from Porsche," but I've only got experience with the 986 platform, so I can't say from personal experience whether or not that's the case.

I purchased a durametric and it worked just fine and communicated with all systems. I wish I would have just spent the extra $$ from the beginning.

I know you're looking at other options, but the poster above said he was looking at a POR-II and I wanted to let him know its limitations.
Thanks for letting me know. I really appreciate the feedback. I'll spend the extra money and get the Durametric.
Mig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #19

Garage
Elm 327 with Bluetooth and Torque Pro on an Android phone. Does the basic OBD II stuff.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelan View Post
Can someone verify that PORII will reset air bag lights on a pre-2004?
anyone knows?

stelan is offline   Reply With Quote