Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie View Post
Thanks for all the info. I have managed to get a great deal from a local porsche indi. They are going to do the whole thing for me for £86 + 20% vat (tax) so I have booked it in for that and a minor service at the same time, at that price I would be a fool to do it myself.
Thanks again for all your help and advice
Walshie
Just wondering if everything is still okay after the fluid change. what type of fluid did the porsche indi use?

Pigsypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:53 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigsypo View Post
Just wondering if everything is still okay after the fluid change. what type of fluid did the porsche indi use?
Everything was fine after the change. I will check paperwork tonight to see what gluid they used.
Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:05 AM   #23
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I have managed to get a great deal from a local porsche indi. They are going to do the whole thing for me for £86 + 20% vat (tax) so I have booked it in for that and a minor service at the same time, at that price I would be a fool to do it myself.
Thanks again for all your help and advice
Walshie
fair enough, but having just completed this last week. 2 hours under the car and 4 litres of ATF. it was fun, but you need a couple of things, including the filter, gasket of sump pan and a HUGE hex head socket for the drain plug...and you really need a parts washer to wash road grit and stuff before reassembly. I suggest replacing the pan screws, there are 21 of them and the heads get messed up from backing them out and reseating them. buy a set for the shop to replace before they do the service, it'll make it easier for them and you'll have peace of mind.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
fair enough, but having just completed this last week. 2 hours under the car and 4 litres of ATF. it was fun, but you need a couple of things, including the filter, gasket of sump pan and a HUGE hex head socket for the drain plug...and you really need a parts washer to wash road grit and stuff before reassembly. I suggest replacing the pan screws, there are 21 of them and the heads get messed up from backing them out and reseating them. buy a set for the shop to replace before they do the service, it'll make it easier for them and you'll have peace of mind.
Thanks for the tips. is your boxster manual or tiptronic? what's the mileage on the car? what tool did you use to measure the temperature of the transmission?
Pigsypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Everything was fine after the change. I will check paperwork tonight to see what gluid they used.
Hi pigsypo
Unfortunately the indi didn't specify what atf was used. Next time i am there i will find out.
Sorry i couldn't be more help
Walshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:28 AM   #26
Will there be cake?

Garage
FWIW, I used this:

https://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-Long-Life-Fully-Synthetic-1058206/dp/B00JMAQ0LW
Old 11-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #27
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Great advice. My car is up on the stands... and the ATF is on the menu.

What size are those 21 bolts, and from where did YOU purchase them?

Thank you.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #28
Will there be cake?

Garage
They are internal hex head screws, and I got them from the dealer, no idea the size.

I have a great relationship with my local Porsche dealer for things like hardware, panel clips and stuff. The time I save makes the price palatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2022, 03:49 AM   #29

Necro!

Going to do the Trans and Diff on my 2001 986 Tip.

Question: Can you drill the 2.5" holes in the skid plate to make the next fluid change easier? It would need to be 2 holes for the drain and fill.

Once the plate is off, I can eyeball the locations. Just wanted to make sure this is a reasonable plan.

I think I am going to change the ATF every other year, but want to do 2 changes in short succession. I am at 58k miles and assume the ATF has never been changed, so its like a mini-flush.
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Both this link and the one on the previous page go to ATF6. Is that different than ATF1???

Is the ATF6 the correct fluid in 2022?
Old 11-27-2022, 01:31 PM   #31

Finally got around to doing this today with the ATF6 Pentosin.

Any idea why it would take more than 5 liters??? I had the car on jacks for a week or so, could more of the fluid drained from the converter and into the pan from sitting so long?

I had to run out to the store to buy a liter for $38 when the 5 liter jug was $75. But at least they had it at Advance Auto so I could finish the job.

The final tally was about 5.5 liters of the ATF6 following the 101 Projects book. I did not mess with the rear differential, but maybe get that down the road.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:21 AM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
Finally got around to doing this today with the ATF6 Pentosin.

Any idea why it would take more than 5 liters??? I had the car on jacks for a week or so, could more of the fluid drained from the converter and into the pan from sitting so long?

I had to run out to the store to buy a liter for $38 when the 5 liter jug was $75. But at least they had it at Advance Auto so I could finish the job.

The final tally was about 5.5 liters of the ATF6 following the 101 Projects book. I did not mess with the rear differential, but maybe get that down the road.
Same happened to me. I ended up with almost 7 liters of ATF, meaning two rounds back to the store, $45 each quart.

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote