Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #1

Odd No-Start Issue With My Boxster

I fired the Boxster up on Sunday with nary an issue, and went for a drive. The car performed flawlessly, the engine running like a sewing machine. I was low on fuel, so I hit the Mobil station for a fill-up with 93 octane.

Normally, the car fires immediately with the flick of the key, however after fueling, my standard flick of the key resulted in a no-start. The first ever. I've had it happen on my other cars when I release the key a little to quickly, so I didn't give it a second thought. I tried a second time, and again got a no-start. It almost sounded/felt like there was no spark. I'm thinking, "please, don't let this happen, I don't want to have the car towed." The third time was the charm, only this time I throttled the gas pedal a bit when I turned the key. The car fired up, and ran perfectly. Whew. When I got home, I turned it off, and then turned it back on with my typical flick of the key, and it fired immediately.

I've fueled up the car many times and have never experienced this. Is it possible that low pressure in the fuel system was the result, and throttling the gas pedal during my final try got the fuel system "primed"? Or, is there something else I should be concerned with that may go from an intermittent issue to a failure?

Thanks!

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #2

I've seen this issue discussed before. Might be the first symptoms of what this guy had.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/16091-boxster-hard-to-start-after-filling-with-gas/?p=130948
Old 05-19-2016, 09:55 AM   #3

Could be a crankshaft position sensor that needs to be replaced.
Fyeganeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #4

Well your car definitely needs to be junkjarded immediately, because once in it's lifetime it didn't start at first try.

Sorry, Markus

Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote