Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #21

The only thing I don't like about the S model is the white gauge faces. I can't stand those but I think they can be changed easily. Having said that, more power is never a bad thing.

But my base model has plenty of power and really likes to rev. I have never regretted not getting the S, or found myself wanting more power.

Roger1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
If you're looking at a 14 year old car, forget the badges and buy on condition only. If you can find a really good S, then great but don't turn down a well spec'ed and well cared for 2.7 just to get an S that may be a money pit.

I've been really lucky in finding a really great car that has barely cost me anything in 5 years of ownership. For peace of mind I had the IMS bearing replaced which is my only major expenditure.

My friend has a 2002 S and to his frustration, I have always kept up. Don't believe the hype, they are all quick.
I own an S, and I love it!! But I agree with this advice. Find the best Boxster you can...I don't think you will be disappointed either way you go.
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1965 View Post
The only thing I don't like about the S model is the white gauge faces. I can't stand those but I think they can be changed easily. Having said that, more power is never a bad thing.

But my base model has plenty of power and really likes to rev. I have never regretted not getting the S, or found myself wanting more power.
That's the great thing about choices, I love the white gauges! Get the S, have patience, the right one will find its way to you
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:08 AM   #24

Garage
I doubt anyone has ever regretted buying an S over the 2.7, but there are a lot of happy base model owners out there. Also, make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

For example, a 1999 base model had 200hp, the 2001 S had 250. Then the refreshed 03/04 models got an upgraded VarioCam VVT and the base model was up to 228hp.

Personally, I chose a 2003 base that was in excellent condition over a 2002 S that was a similar price but not nearly as nice. I wanted the newer facelift features, and it had enough low end power for me. (I was coming from an NB Miata, so I didn't need that much more!). Also, I preferred the gearing of the 5 speed in 2nd and 3rd gear -- I don't do a ton of highway cruising, where the 6sp is probably much better. It really depends on how you're going to use the car the majority of the time.

Drive as many Boxsters as you can before making a choice. I went with the base model, but again, I doubt you'll find too many people kicking themselves for buying an S (unless they overextended themselves on payments!).
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #25

Test drove different cars back in 2002. S, non, FL…

Decided to want a FL only because of the rear glas window. Later on was not shure if the decision was right, because i like the lines of the PreFL better and it's much easier to modify the hifi system. The MOST bus system is just crap.

Decided to go for an S, because of the more torque in the low end. If you like to rev your engine, the non S rev up to 6.400 rpms whereas the S revs only up to 6.200 or 6.150 rpms. To me there is a clear difference in the engine character. If you like to buy an automatic maybe the difference is not as big as if you want a manual transmission. If you go for an automatic i would prefer an S, because of the more torque.

Also there are definitely differences in maintenance costs. S brakes and some other parts are more expensive.

In the end i would go for the car in best condition. If it's exactly what i would look for this would be a plus. But you should never forget that these cars are minimum 12 years old now. So i think the overall condition is important.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipershot View Post
... im stuck wondering if ill miss the extra 37hp by getting the base model...
Joe
It's not the HP, it's the extra torque that makes such a big difference between the two.
S has noticably more oomph... better brakes, etc.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #27

I drove a base first and then the S and the choice was clear immediately to me, but to each their own.

The price difference these days for a 986 is no more than $2000 between a base and an S.

So for the money, the more rare and in demand car is the S. Excellent resale value.

If you look at the forum threads you will see a lot of folks looking for ways to increase the power/torque.
They will spend a lot more than $2000 for even a modest improvement, so you will save money by starting out with more hp/torque from the start if you buy an S.

In the end its your own preferences that govern and if you are OK with a base, its still going to be more fun than any other car for that price.

Also keep in mind that average operating/maintenance costs are about $2k per year. Some years it will just be tires and brakes, other years water pump, Belts, AOS. You can cut that bill in half if you DIY though as the 986 is surprisingly easy to work on for most things.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 05-18-2016 at 11:43 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #28

I drove both. Both were around the same mileage and same price. Going for the S would have been zero extra financial difficulty.

The base car has a sweeter engine (to me) even if it is not nearly as fast. It was also a far better color combo (Silver on red) of which I could not find another, period. I also really like the more-90s Porsche feel of the 97-99 cars...something about the original-style plain black gear knob, and the four spoke steering wheel. Just feels more special to me than the kind of generic alumi-look shifter on the later cars. My base felt simply more special than the S. And that's what mattered most to me.

Power is easy by comparison. And a 3.4-swapped base would handily outrun a 3.2 S anyways.....

My daily driver is a 100hp Mazda2 and my project car is a 165hp RX-7, so the Porsche feels like a supercar even with 200hp. If I wanted power I would have got a new 5 liter Mustang.
Spirit_RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #29

Thanks for all the info and advice, i really appreciate it. I was very close to settling on a car that wasnt 100% what i wanted, but was a good deal, and had most of what i was looking for. I wanted black/black or silver/black and this car had the tan interior. Regardless, i could have lived with that. The guy emailed me a price, and i called him to accept it, and then he informs me that another buyer offered him more, after he made me the offer. No biggie. I continued to scour the web, and find a silver/black 2001 S, with less than 50k miles on it about a half hour from my house! Obviously, im torn, because the tan interiored car was a lot cheaper, even though i would have to fly out and drive it 13 hours back home. So as a courtesy, i inform the first guy that im weighing my options and would like to think about it. He gets mad, writes a ****************ty email, and tells me he doesnt wanna sell me the car now. Lol. It was like a sign from above. Im goin to look at the silver/black car tomorrow! And did i mention its less than $14k with a new imsb?
Snipershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:26 PM   #30

Garage
Like I said before, have patience and you will find the right one. Maybe you have! Good luck tomorrow
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 05-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #31

Well, after much searching and being picky as hell, i picked up a 2001 boxster S with 46k miles on it. Its super clean, and has been very well taken care of. It rides and drives like new. Im in shock, i cant believe i own a Porsche. Its been a dream of mine since i was a kid playing with hotwheel cars. I know i must sound dumb or cheesy, but i dont care. And im sure i look goofy in the car, being 6 feet tall and 295 pounds, but it fits me like a damn glove. Lol.

Last edited by Snipershot; 05-19-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:14 AM   #32
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Nice ride!! When you walk out of your house and see it this morning you still wont believe you own a Porsche. I still have that feeling 5 years after I bought mine. You will find yourself going outside just to stare at it. Enjoy
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:31 AM   #33

That is a great looking car. I've always had a weak spot for the Sport Design rims and they look great on your car.

Congratulations! I'm sure you will enjoy it immensly. Now, specs, please?
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:18 AM   #34
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I see you already have a permagrin!

Congratulations, you are going to love that car!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:33 AM   #35

Garage
Congrats on finding a great looking Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Nice ride!! When you walk out of your house and see it this morning you still wont believe you own a Porsche. I still have that feeling 5 years after I bought mine. You will find yourself going outside just to stare at it. Enjoy
I still feel like this^^^^, still love to peek in the garage and see it sitting there, and then getting to drive it! Have lots of fun and drive it like you stole it. And no, it's not dumb or cheesy, that's why we are all here
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 05-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #36

Garage
I picked up my second boxster a couple of weeks ago and have found myself just opening the garage door to look at it daily... Congrats to you!
aneal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #37

Congrats. Beautiful car. Job well done.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:06 AM   #38

Hello Snipershot,

congrats and welcome to the Porsche enthusiasts. Ever wondered why some people always smile? Now, if you had a bad day you know what you can think of to instantly go back to smiie again.

Regards from Germany,
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #39

S or No

Ultimately it boils down to what you like. In my search I drove about 7 cars both S and Base and honestly, if you're thinking you are going to see an earth shattering difference between the two you will be disappointed. If you have a desire to track or AX the S makes some sense. But for all around fun and the ability to drive it "harder" and stay on it "longer" the Base can't be beat. Honestly, how many times are you going to drive above 100 on your daily or weekend trips? And if you are I want to know where you drive!
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridsten View Post
That is a great looking car. I've always had a weak spot for the Sport Design rims and they look great on your car.

Congratulations! I'm sure you will enjoy it immensly. Now, specs, please?
What specs would you like? Lol. Everything is stock. No aftermarket parts at all. It has 46k miles on it, and its a blast to drive. The only issue at all with it is the leather on the dash is wrinkled and coming loose. Ill be taking it to an upholstery place very soon. My boss txted me and told me it was time to quit driving, and come to work. Lol.
Joe