Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 07:47 AM   #1

Instrument Cluster still dead but what are these mysterious wires?

Hi All,

I posted a couple of weeks back about my instrument cluster on a UK 99 Boxster being 'almost' completely dead (no rev counter, speedo, lcd displays etc but the fuel and temperature gauges work!)

Thanks to the people who offered advice, but I'm still having problems.

On shoving my head down the drivers footwell to check the fuses, I found these three wires hanging down. Anu ideas what they are? I could not find anywhere to plug them back!

Are they off some aftermarket thingy that was removed before I bought it, or could this be something to do with the instrument cluster not working?

blackboxster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #2

Hello blackboxster123,

that doesn't seem to be original – especially the left one which is a LAN cable and the right one. Would be new to me that Porsche ever used cables with LAN connectors in cars.

Have you pulled the instrument cluster to see if it is connected correctly?

Did the instrument cluster work when you've bought the car?

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

Hiya,

Many thanks for the reply.

Yep - I've checked the plugs at the back of the dash - well made sure they were pushed in anyway.

Checked fused B1 B10 and E1. Was hoping to find a DIY fix for this as summer is here in the UK!

I have found quite a few posts with the same problem, but nobody has ever posted how they then sorted it...
blackboxster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackboxster123 View Post
Hiya,

Many thanks for the reply.

Yep - I've checked the plugs at the back of the dash - well made sure they were pushed in anyway.

Checked fused B1 B10 and E1. Was hoping to find a DIY fix for this as summer is here in the UK!

I have found quite a few posts with the same problem, but nobody has ever posted how they then sorted it...
No junker or member that has a set you can swap out to see if it's cluster or car? Any test for either side?

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote