Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #1

New 986 Owner in Norcal

Hello! Just wanted to introduce myself. Picked up an 01' Boxster S this past sunday and loving every drive I take! I feel like I just got my license, looking for excuses to take the car out!

Here are some pictures:

Said I wouldn't do any mods, but couldn't help myself and desnorkeled and replaced interior lights with LEDs!

Quick question. I noticed the owner had been using Redline 5w40 motor oil as they left a few quarts in the trunk. Should I continue using this or would it be ok to change to one of my choosing. Also read in the manual that 10w40 was recommended.

Thanks, and look forward to being part of this community!

Rok986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:06 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Welcome to the forum! Your 986 looks great!

Nothing wrong with Redline, but if you do switch allow 30-60 minutes to let as much of the old oil as possible drain out. You will find a lot of information about every topic, including oil debates, preferences, and recommendations by doing a search on this forum. I personally switched to Castrol 10W-40 per the recommendation of a few people on this website. The Mobil 1 oil sold today is not as good as it was when it was originally listed in the owners manual.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:21 PM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Welcome! That's one nice car y'got there.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:46 AM   #4
Lawyer

I added AUX cabble to my CDR 220 Have fun riding!
dmxzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:51 AM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Antioch checking in!

Love the silver on black. Very clean looking box. Welcome.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:02 AM   #6
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Congrats! And down the mod rabbit hole you go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:41 AM   #7
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Nice car . . . enjoy!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:44 AM   #8

You're really fortunate to be in cali....
AmongstEnemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok986 View Post
I feel like I just got my license, looking for excuses to take the car out!
Exactly how I felt the first time I drove mine. Nice looking car! And lucky to live where you can drive it all year.

I'm having the same issue trying to decide on oil. There's a lot of information out there, and not a lot of hard data on what's best. I hear a lot of folks talk about the Joe Gibbs oil.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #10

Please, please no oil talk. Can we have peace in the 986 world for a few days? Kidding of course.
Beautiful car though I am a bit bias having the same exact car (color combo) but a 2000.
Best of luck with it.
DWBOX2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #11

Garage
Welcome to the bay area! Join PCA (LPR chapter) and join us in Marina for our Auto Cross events!

Autocross 2016 Season « Loma Prieta Region – Porsche Club of America
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:16 AM   #12

Rok, if you do decide to mod it, consider a new glass window top. I sure do love mine and I no longer have to get out and do the plastic window chop every time I lower it and I have no worries about the plastic cracking in cold weather. Plus, the new glass window makes my car look ten years younger.

Great to have you here and congrats on the Boxster!!! Do take the motor to near-redline a couple of times each time you drive it to get that Redline oil all up into the nooks and crannies of the motor. Plus, wide open throttle sounds glorious!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
Please, please no oil talk. Can we have peace in the 986 world for a few days? Kidding of course.
Okay, no oil talk. Instead, let's talk about the IMS!!

(sound of popcorn popping in the background...)

Seriously though, I searched and searched for an "S" model when I was shopping. Couldn't find one out here on Atlantic side to save my life. Seems the west coast folks have all the luck.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #14

I went to chambersburg, PA from boston for mine last year. It wasn't that I couldn't find a S in boston, it was more the price and mileage. Well I also love a good road trip and I am a Sucker for good advertising too. What a whacky story that purchase was.
DWBOX2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #15

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Theres plenty of space for everyone to move here to sunny california, but at a price. Higher cost of living, taxes, etc...

Randall, Im highly considering the glass window as the faded plastic one does make the car look its age! I do like to drive it aggressively every now and then, especially with the desnorkel! Love the roar it has now!

Need_for_speed, I've actually did some lurking here for a few months prior to my purchase to make sure I knew what to look out for. IMS was done at 70k, along with clutch and water pump. Thanks for the heads up tho! Good lookin out!

Its funny, I was actually wanting to get a motorcycle, but its been a 10 yr losing battle with my wife. Glad I found the boxster as it's been a blast! Much safer too. Plus, happy wife!

Dlirium, thanks for the invite. Will definitely take a look. I was wondering what local clubs there were. I know there's an annual porsche meet at Laguna Seca. Hoping I can participate this year!
Rok986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #16

Garage
Welcome! Beautiful car.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #17
Beginner

Garage
Congratulations on a beautiful car!
Old 04-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok986 View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Theres plenty of space for everyone to move here to sunny california, but at a price. Higher cost of living, taxes, etc...

Randall, Im highly considering the glass window as the faded plastic one does make the car look its age! I do like to drive it aggressively every now and then, especially with the desnorkel! Love the roar it has now!

Need_for_speed, I've actually did some lurking here for a few months prior to my purchase to make sure I knew what to look out for. IMS was done at 70k, along with clutch and water pump. Thanks for the heads up tho! Good lookin out!

Its funny, I was actually wanting to get a motorcycle, but its been a 10 yr losing battle with my wife. Glad I found the boxster as it's been a blast! Much safer too. Plus, happy wife!

Dlirium, thanks for the invite. Will definitely take a look. I was wondering what local clubs there were. I know there's an annual porsche meet at Laguna Seca. Hoping I can participate this year!
You will see a lot of PCA activities ar Laguna Seca this weekend.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #19

Garage
Welcome neighbor, great looking car and the color ain't bad either. Believe it or not there is a PCA Monterey Bay Region that you can designate as your region when, and if, you join PCA. You can always attend other regions events. Have fun with your new ride and see you on the road.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #20
Master Brewer

Garage
Welcome! Great story about the motorcycle. I used something similar except I convinced my wife I wanted to buy a Harley... Made my Boxster purchase a lot easier discussion (since I never wanted a Harley). Congrats...

2004 Ford F-150 4X4 Crew
6 Fast Bicycles
Bootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote